Welcome to Zclub - Australia's Largest Nissan 370Z and Nissan 350Z Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fuel Consumption Observations

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Nissanx

Nissanx

2nd GEN (S130)

• Members
  • PipPip
    Neutral
  • 89 posts
  • Local time: 09:28 AM
  • Location.
  • Car:.
  • Time Online: 18h 50m 41s
Let me start by saying that i know you don't buy a Z for the fuel economy. :rolleyes2:
These are just my observations from my driving (and I mostly drive like a granny), and how bad city driving is for fuel economy.

I live 6km from work (Sydney area) , and about the same distance to the shops. This means that I am generally doing very short trips. I should add that I work nights so I don't travel in peak hour traffic. I've done over 1000km on the car now, and my average fuel consumption is 14.9L/100km. When I fill the car up, the distance remaining meter generally shows about 420km.
I had to go to the central coast today which is about a 210km round trip (up the F3). I had a full tank of petrol. When I started, it was showing 410km distance remaining. When I got home, it was showing 412km remaining. B)

Using these figures, it would almost be worth living on the central coast... except for the extra 2 hours of travel each day. :whistle:

_BD_

_BD_

3rd GEN (Z31)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
    Neutral
  • 197 posts
  • Local time: 10:28 AM
  • LocationMelbourne
  • Car:MY09 Titanium 370Z
  • Time Online: 5d 8h 50m 21s
Your car does sound like it is going through a lot of fuel.

I've got a 370Z with 13k on the clock and my fuel economy is always around;
City driving (trips under 10km) = 450km
Average (mix of short and highway) = 490km
Highway driving = 620 km

Current average consumption on dash is 12.3L

Guest_ChrisS2010_*

Guest_ChrisS2010_*
  • Guests
lol...my consumption was like that @ one stage so I feel your pain.

When I was working in the Sydney CBD last year I would drive into work 3 times a week (which was about 5kms), then drive to Epping after work (about 17kms), then home (about 20kms)...and my BEST average was 16.5 and the worst was 19 something. Peak hour traffic doesn't help.

T Main90

T Main90

2nd GEN (S130)

• Members
  • PipPip
    Neutral
  • 87 posts
  • LocationMackay
  • Car:350Z Fairlady (JDM)
  • :
I usually get 9.5ish on the highway, and 10.7 around town, I don't live in a city though

EDIT: that's a 350Z

Shibby

Shibby

2nd GEN (S130)

• Members
  • PipPip
    Neutral
  • 54 posts
  • LocationBrisbane
  • Car:370Z Roadster 6MT
  • Time Online: 2h 29m 57s

Let me start by saying that i know you don't buy a Z for the fuel economy. :rolleyes2:
These are just my observations from my driving (and I mostly drive like a granny), and how bad city driving is for fuel economy.

I live 6km from work (Sydney area) , and about the same distance to the shops. This means that I am generally doing very short trips. I should add that I work nights so I don't travel in peak hour traffic. I've done over 1000km on the car now, and my average fuel consumption is 14.9L/100km. When I fill the car up, the distance remaining meter generally shows about 420km.
I had to go to the central coast today which is about a 210km round trip (up the F3). I had a full tank of petrol. When I started, it was showing 410km distance remaining. When I got home, it was showing 412km remaining. B)

Using these figures, it would almost be worth living on the central coast... except for the extra 2 hours of travel each day. :whistle:

Basically what is happening here with your 'Distance Remaining' reading is something like this:
If you did a tank of highway driving you might get 650km from a tank.
If you did a tank of city driving you might get 450km from a tank.
So this explains why when you fueled up after doing most city driving, and the car read 410km, then you drove 200km and it still read 412km. Because you had been doing highway driving, this 'new tank' of fuel would have got you around 650km! (650 - 200 = 450)

Makes sense :)

gumpy

gumpy

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
    Neutral
  • 367 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • Car:Nissan 370z 09 White Manual (because I don't shave my legs)
  • Time Online: 18h 55m 32s
i get about 10.5 around town but I do use the M2 a lot which helps cut the fuel usage.

on my trip to campbelltown for a week i got 8.5L/100km 85% of the driving that week was m7 then hume hwy

BlueZ

BlueZ

2nd GEN (S130)

• Members
  • PipPip
    Neutral
  • 94 posts
  • LocationBurpengary, Qld
  • Car:Monteray Blue 370Z
  • Time Online: 18h 59m 47s

i get about 10.5 around town but I do use the M2 a lot which helps cut the fuel usage.

on my trip to campbelltown for a week i got 8.5L/100km 85% of the driving that week was m7 then hume hwy

I get a little under 10l/100km for normal city driving, which includes a lot of freeway and 8l/100km on a long trip. That was before the new exhaust and HFCs. I haven't finished a tank yet but I think the consumption has gone up, but that is mostly short runs so it's going to be hard to compare. I don't know if it's just the type of driving or something with the O2 sensors in the new cats not working as well.

If you're getting 15l/100km, I'd be talking to the dealer about having it checked.

boardingnath

boardingnath

2nd GEN (S130)

• Members
  • PipPip
    Neutral
  • 78 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • Car:Carbon Silver 2010 370z
  • Time Online: 1d 7h 39m 55s
I've got a similar short drive to work and back. Always amazes me how much more I get out of a tank if I have to go out for work or take a longer drive on the weekend.

OttoG

OttoG

Premium Member

• Premium

• PipPip
    Neutral
  • 82 posts
  • Local time: 10:28 AM
  • LocationSydney
  • Car:370z Coupe
  • Time Online: 1d 7h 12m 52s
I just love the way my 370z (AT7) creates it own fuel on weekends. I fill up on Friday night before commuting (from Sydney) to Sussex Inlet. - 226 km door to door. The trip computer will show around 550km to empty after filling up and will show up to 600KM to empty upon arrival.

Admittedly, I'm on my best behaviour and using cruise control wherever possible. On trips, I regularly travel 750km plus between fill-ups. It is a surprising economical car if you don't ask it to work hard.

Yuf

Yuf

1st GEN (S30)

• Members
  • Pip
    Neutral
  • 22 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • Car:370z Quartz 7AT
  • Time Online: 16h 26m 32s
Mostly city driving and managed 14.0 to 14.5L/100km calculated, the computer always jump around between 430km to 490km. Long distance trips yield approx 9L/100km.

Travelled 5500km since new, averaging 13.6L/100km.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users