Welcome to Zclub - Australia's Largest Nissan 370Z and Nissan 350Z Forum
Register for FREE to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

replacing the factory HUD

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

has anyone done it?

i was thinking about replacing the LCD with a double din HU or an appropriately sized android tablet. I know id lose the reverse cam and the AC temperature but the reverse cam sucks and i could always use the AC in manual which i pretty much do now anyway. I bought a 2010 model 370 so lucky me i got the one without bluetooth audio so right now a 10 year old ipod sticky taped to the dashboard would be a better entertainment system than the one nissan tried to pass off as premium so im open to suggestions. Im currently doing ok with a bluetooth receiver pluged into the AUX, but the whole two band equaliser on the factory system just doesnt cut. for some reason jacking up the bass slider just increases the lower midrange drone and none of the low range punch im looking for. I know the factory bose system is capable of the goods because i used an inline equaliser to filter out the midbass and it sounded great. i just want a headunit with at least 5 band....

Edited by Cam

Posted · Report post

There's not enough room behind just the screen unfortunately. Mounting a tablet is your best bet of keeping the A/C etc. One of the Sydney guys is trying to mount an iPad Mini so we'll see how that goes, but it'd likely be via Bluetooth to the AUX.

I was looking into sourcing a U.S. base model system (fascia, cubby, and the A/C controls), but that's no longer happening. The defroster hasn't been figured out yet (you need to re-wire the A/C controls to accept the base dials, I was thinking of wiring in the plug needed in-line so you have both in case you ever want to switch back)

Posted · Report post

Ive been thinking some more and I’m now considering mounting a mechless headunit in the glovebox and just running an rca line out to piggy back into the factory system aux. it kills a few birds with one stone - Bluetooth, better phone, multi band equaliser, cheap and won’t ruin the factory look. The glovebox is too small to be useful for storage but I think a single din headunit would fit nicely in there and will require minimal wiring. It’ll also free up the centre console compartment and the 12v socket for phone charging. I have an old head unit lying around somewhere so I can see how it looks and play around with a faceplate designbefore I commit to it.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Topics

• New kid on the block
      By Bry · Posted
      Was this car from Taz ?
    • Hi from Newcastle
      By harry.egan · Posted
      Hi Rodd, Im in Newcastle and congrats on the purchase. I havent met many other Zed owners on this forum from Newie. You are in the right place if you want to learn more about the Zed as i have found being pretty much a novice. Cheers Harry Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    • Stillen exaust
      By #1ZED · Posted
      Hi Elvis, I know your post was from last year but did you ever settle on a CBE? I just bought a roadster and looking at doing something very similar shortly.  
    • Hi from Newcastle
      By #1ZED · Posted
      Just bought a 2012 370Z red roadster, via a long road trip from the Whitsundays.  Just love the car the more I drive it. I have always loved Zeds, ever since I was a kid playing soccer and my coach bought a 260Z and took me for drive to game one Sat morning.  I also owned 260Z for about 12 years which I thoroughly restored.  No mods or anything else done etc my new plates. Keen on a new exhaust at some stage. I  Joined the Z club to learn more about the car, share stories etc and hopefully do the odd weekend drive with fellow members. Are there many Newcastle Zed owners out there….. Cheers, Rodd 
    • New kid on the block
      By 370boi · Posted
      Thanks Bry I can't take credit though, previous owner put them on, one of the main reasons I bought this particular example!