Welcome to Zclub - Australia's Largest Nissan 370Z and Nissan 350Z Forum
Register for FREE to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Hi, First time Z car owner - Perth.

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

G’day Guy’s,

I bought myself a 2008, 350Z earlier today. I had a neighbour that had a 240Z in ac crappy brown (no pun intended) colour when I was about 11yo that I thought was the coolest car ever. Quite a while back now, 03 or 04, I got to do a few laps around Wanneroo Raceway in Perth, in a colleagues    first year 03’, I believe 350Z. I had done a lot laps there in mainly V8 Commodores and Falcons (police pursuit vehicles) and the Z was leaps and bounds ahead of those in handling terms on that track and gave nothing away in performance. In fact it was quicker than every police car I’d driven there bar a few WRX’s and Falcon Turbo XR6’s, off the line and in top speed. 

So about the car. I’ve been on the hunt for a while for a 350Z. Why the 350Z over a 370Z, I can say honestly that I prefer the look of the 350’s over the 370, especially the last of the 350’s with the M3 like bonnet bulge. Having said that if I won one in a lottery etc, I’d happily live with the 370. Also Ive had a Few WRX & STI’s in the past but I’ve been thinking of buying an old school, air cooled, 993 Porsche 911 and I wanted to dip my toe into the whole very low, two seater’, sports car thing to see if it’s for me in the longer term. I’m middle aged, 6’3 & I get a sore back & knees, so I have to know if the “ingress and egress” is going to literally be a pita (pun intended) , 6-8 months down the track. 

So as the heading said I purchased a 2008, Touring, I think it is in the Carbon Silver colour. It’s as good an example as I think one could reasonably be expected to find. It has an auto transmission, I just heard you all sigh in unison in disgust. I had only looked at manual cars, particularly the “Track model”. I was trying to hunt down something in excellent condition (giving the poor things some concessions for old age), unmodified, as close to stock as possible & with the service docs. If your after a “Roadster”, well they are an easy find. As I’d been holding out for a 6 speed manual......the months and km’s spent driving around the have netted me mostly disappointment & it seemed that nearly all the cars in W.A. we’re going to break my heart. Only because, I assume people with the cherry cars are holding onto them ? So after many disappointing car hunting sessions, I thought I’m going to need to look at 370 Z to get a car meeting my standards and criteria. Then yesterday I decided to have a look at an auto that was close by me for shits and giggles. Well the car drove incredibly well, the auto box in D works great, not so much in manual mode, where it takes too long to grab the next gear for my liking. I also don’t understand why many jap and euro manufacturers of pedestrian vehicles don’t rig the “novelty sports shift” so it at least shifts like a proper sequential box. Pull back to change up and forwards to change down. It went well and the car, an 05’ had all the attributes I was looking for and only 56000k’s, so as you do, I walked away to go home to have a bit of a think or rethink about buying an auto.

Then last night I was checking gumtree and carsales and found another auto, an 08’ with 145000km but it looked as clean as a whistle, no mods, a comprehensive service history and the newer HR motor. Thankfully it wasn’t too far away from home and I went and had a look and I thought if this drives as good as it looks I’m buying it. It did, I did and here I am. 

Hopefully I’ll pick it up either tomorrow or on Tuesday and I will report back and post up a NZD (New Z day) with loads of pics. I have no performance mods in mind but I’d like to see if the auto can be made to change up a bit quicker in manual mode. I don’t think I’ll worry about coil overs but I probably will get some Bilstein shocks and new springs fitted up in the not too distant future and will definitely be looking at an exhaust that sounds a lil more.....angry, if I can pick up a few hp doing it well and good if not I’m happy with 230kw, I think a new audio head unit with a DVD player and Apple Music is also on the cards. Probably too on my list of  change’s. I’d like to stay with bose, to keep it looking factory but I’m not sure if anyone is doing bose (I think bose audio can only be sold by bose but I’m not seeing bose car audio in Perth. If someone could point in the direction of a bose head unit that fits in Oz with the features mention above that’d be great. Failing that I’ll check out a few car stereo specific shops in the next few days to consider other options that fit.

I’d love to hear about other people’s experiences with exhausts and any suspension components that differ from the direction I’m heading in if you feel they would be a better fit for the car over my choices / plans above. I will probably look at changing out small components like OEM bushes and exhaust hangers etc, that should probably should have replaced long ago. 

Well thank you for reading, that was a smig long winded. Sayonara till next time.

BALIstic

DD59BAB3-8905-4054-BA0E-F21CDEFF03D2.png

741FEE6C-F139-4403-96A8-A65C9A981F8E.png

7BFB61FB-C55E-40A1-8F27-5CE35CE23AE0.png

2130C2BF-F5D9-43DF-B48D-9D8392ECE17E.png

386717B9-391D-4B32-8564-8EF7F582E14F.png

Edited by BALIstic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So here she is boy’s and girls, on MY driveway. 😛😍. 

A rundown and more pics coming later in the week to the main discussion pages. 

Regards all.

BALIstic 

7653CCD4-9B8B-4798-B9A5-521AD5AEFA10.jpeg

Edited by BALIstic

Posted · Report post

Welcome mate,

Looking forward to more updates.

:)

Posted · Report post

Looks mint mate. I love the bonnet bulge too. Looks very 240z ish.

Posted · Report post

Hey mate how's the Z going? Keen to catch up early may for a wee drive? Sent from my S30 using Tapatalk