Welcome to Zclub - Australia's Largest Nissan 370Z and Nissan 350Z Forum
Register for FREE to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Not feeling the love...

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey guys. Initially I really liked my 370z. I thought it was pretty cool and all. But lately I have been able to take it on a couple of deserted back roads and really let it do its thing and, well, to be honest, it aint doing its thing. Like, it is hitting brick wall around 140k's and sounds absolutely awful while its getting there. Is it me? I am just not feeling the love anymore. The car feels like a slug, and I really have to work at it to get anything out of it. I must be asking too much of it by comparing it to my old rx7 FD.

Edited by big hugh ness

Posted · Report post

You know what I think the trouble is with it? It's not breathing properly. Seems to run out of breath. Maybe I need some sexy cai's. Nice set of Stillen's. Hmmm

Posted · Report post

CAI's don't make much of a difference on the 370z in terms of performance as the standard intake works really well.  Sounds to me like your Z may have some type of issue as whilst they do sound a bit harsh (a feature of the 3.7L engine) they actually wind out pretty well and have plenty of grunt in the top half of the power curve.  Mine has always revved easily to redline in most gears, it just doesn't sound that harmonious doing it!  

I suggest you get yours checked out before spending money on a CAI which probably won't make a huge difference anyway.  A good tune would probably be a far more effective investment! 

Posted · Report post

What mods do you have? My catback gave the engine such a good note and made the upper revs such a fun place to be. Which is where all the power is anyway.

I recently cleaned my throttle bodies and gave the car injector cleaner treatment. The cars heaps more responsive, has more urgency through the rev range and sounds better. It also idles nice. Maybe give that a try, My car's done 60000 Km's and the throttle bodies were pretty filth.

I've driven my mates Spirit R FD a couple times. It has a full exhaust, sways, rims and coilovers. Such a nice car. A lot more chuckable than the Zed but not as planted and grippy through the twisties. The engine was nice and smooth except for when the engine went from the small to the big turbo. Definitely a different kettle of fish but you either like one or the other.

Posted · Report post

Save your money and just get better air filters, but get that issue fixed before you spend any more money on that money PIT.

Don't even bother with a tune! not worth $1500 for absolutely minimum gain!!

If you want good real reliable results then super charge it! These cars are almost tuned to the max out of the box and you wont get much more out of them regardless of what bolt on you put on. 

Don't forget that the drive train on these cars are almost 20 years OLD and for what it is they are under powered for my liking.. not bad for NA though.

Do some extensive research and you will understand what I mean..

Posted · Report post

I think you are right on the money. It's not breathing too well and a CAI unit is probably only going to perform better higher up in the rev range. Its the low range that shows a deficiency. I think. Tune up definitely on the cards. 

What mods do you have? My catback gave the engine such a good note and made the upper revs such a fun place to be. Which is where all the power is anyway.

I recently cleaned my throttle bodies and gave the car injector cleaner treatment. The cars heaps more responsive, has more urgency through the rev range and sounds better. It also idles nice. Maybe give that a try, My car's done 60000 Km's and the throttle bodies were pretty filth.

I think definitely will try the throttle bodies and  give them a good clean out. Cheers

Posted · Report post

Hey, Ben. I am starting to see why they could become a money pit. That never ending quest for speed and drive ability. And they such a great looking car that you almost want to throw money at them to make them faster, steer better. It's insidious! I know one thing. I want to make that engine sound better. And the exhaust well, man it is way too quiet!  I had the GT Haus Meisterschaft catback on recently but had to take it off as it was too loud in the morning when I started her up to go to work. I really miss it!  It's due for a service actually, so I will probably do the filters, throttle bodies etc

Posted · Report post

My Z34 regularly tops out at 225-240 at PI on entry to T1 (5th not 6th)

If it hits a wall then the engine is not breathing.

The OEM headers are pretty good so a flat panel filter and CATS would be the first place to look for an engine which is being strangled, If they are OK, lok at air metering (AFM)

Has the car received regular maintenance ??  Any maintenance been skipped that might affect the engines ability to breath OR cause increased drag (wheel bearings, brake drag etc)

Posted · Report post

I'll throw in my 2c:

A tune imo is definitely worth it, my car had throttle lag when warm, and this was solved with a tune (don't bother with a Sprint Booster, etc, these will only trick your car into thinking you're pushing the pedal harder, which wouldn't fix lag). I had a 30kW gain at peak power, but for me it wasn't about numbers and it was about getting some driveability back.

That being said, I do agree that forced induction is the way to go if you really want some big gains. The lag is a bit of a different issue to yours, but is still well worth looking into.

For my intake, the car felt smoother throughout the rev range (this was before the tune), but nothing dramatic. I only got one because it was cheap, even my exhaust and HFC didn't make any noticeable difference before the tune, but I felt it would be a waste to get a tune without some breather mods. I wouldn't be looking at these yet, unless you want to get the most out of your tune (but then you have to draw a line, there's obviously other parts you can throw at the car)

For the throttle bodies, give them a shot but avoid touching the actual throttle plates unless you've done research into how much they will cost to get them re-calibrated.

I do know some people have touched them without any issue, but your experiences may vary. I had mine cleaned on each side of the plate (without opening the plate) when I had my spark plugs changed (which made a mild difference, but like the intakes, nothing dramatic).

Posted · Report post

Yes agreed about the driveability but 30 kw at peak is subjective pending on weather temp and which dyno used..  If your chasing numbers then it sound/looks impressive from just a tune.. but street driving is all about bottom and mid range in my opinion..[just mine]

Both points are valid pending each individual use, at the end of the day its all about how deep is your pocket ..

Posted · Report post

Yes agreed about the driveability but 30 kw at peak is subjective pending on weather temp and which dyno used..  If your chasing numbers then it sound/looks impressive from just a tune.. but street driving is all about bottom and mid range in my opinion..[just mine]

Both points are valid pending each individual use, at the end of the day its all about how deep is your pocket ..

Yeah, I definitely agree with all that.

Mine wasn't just the peak gain, my torque and power were higher across the whole graph, particularly down low and up top (at around 3500RPM I didn't get as much gains, but before and after that everything was a lot higher). There was a big gain in torque even at 2000RPM.

That being said, if I had the money, I'd definitely go forced induction..