Welcome to Zclub - Australia's Largest Nissan 370Z and Nissan 350Z Forum
Register for FREE to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Steering Problem

7 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hi to everyone out there in the Z community. Just wondering if anyone can help me with a slight problem I am experiencing with my 2012 370Z (Black Beauty) I have owned this car for 3 weeks now and it is just awesome to drive except for one problem in low speed turns at more than ¾ to full lock  ( the type you would have in a car park)  it seems like one wheel wants to turn under or more and the car makes a shutting motion and noise as one front tyre jumps back into track, this car has only done 34000 klm all bushes are in good condition and I have had it on a hoist and  wheel aligned by Tasmania’s best wheel alignment experts with the latest wheel alignment bench. My son is a panel beater and before I purchased this car me and his team inspected the car and it has never been in a crash or taken apart and is in perfect condition, no bent arms or damage underneath or anywhere its running the original tyres, it’s going to the shop again on Monday but I think they will not be able to find anything wrong with it. Has anyone had such a problem as this one? Also the problem is worse when the tyres are cold, I am about to have my son drive it slowly as I walk along side and see what is exactly happing. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Posted · Report post

This is normal ... it is a consequence of scrub radius being less than ideal.

Posted · Report post

The car has only done 34000klm struts should be ok. I should say that the car makes a thud noise and makes a tiny lurch or skip when close to full lock and under power the tyres are not turning under that is just the impression you get from the driver seat. When I took it to the service centre at the dealership that I purchased the car from this morning the head mechanic and I took it for a drive into an abandon car park did a few full lock turns and he seemed to think it had too much look and or he could fix it by playing around with the tyre pressers (useless).  Could this just be the way the cars are big 275 tyres with lots of grip on the rear L.S.D diff is that what makes the car do this. Does your car do this or is it something ells and if it is the struts how can I tell also the lurch or skip that it does is a lot less pronounced when the car or tyres are warm.  

BGTV8 scrub radius not sure  what you mean could you elaborate 

can this be fixed?

Posted · Report post

I have the same problem and I thought may be due to the Factory Nismo wheels (9.5"). Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Posted · Report post

This is normal on my Zed when manoeuvring at low speed.  Been doing it since new 4 years and 147,000kms ago.  It's not an issue or a fault.  As BGTV8 states it's a function of the scrub radius of the front wheels when using high amounts of lock.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for putting my mind at rest, I am really enjoying driving this car.