Welcome to Zclub - Australia's Largest Nissan 370Z and Nissan 350Z Forum
Register for FREE to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

To PAC or not to PAC - tried both

3 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hi everyone.
Long time no post - I'm living in Mackay at the moment and so my Z rarely comes out of the garage.

ANYWAY....
When i replaced my factory headunit with an aftermarket model I did some reading and and noticed that there were a lot of recommendations for the PAC unit and a lot of people saying that it wasnt needed as long as the replacement unit had RCA outputs at 4V. Being the cheapskate that I am, I found an RCA wiring loom and facia adaptor package on ebay for a bargain price and decided to go down that road. 

It worked. Sure i might have had to hack up the back of the facia adaptor with a steak knife to make it fit and sure I swore a lot trying to get everything back in the way it came out but it worked and at the time, i called it a win.

HOWEVER...
Months passed and It just never seemed to sound as good as the factory unit did. I thought i was imagining it but there seemed to be far more distortion and far less 'punch' than i remember. It wasnt as loud either but since i am more about the quality i turned a blind eye to that. I tried tweaking every setting that there was to tweak and was just never quite satified with the sound quality.

Today, my PAC ROEM-NIS2 arrived. I wanted to give it a go. I wanted to know if it was any better.
I'm a perfectionist and i like getting all the wiring properly bound and bundled and routed so that there is a zero chance of anything failing in the future, so it took me a good few hours. The PAC unit isnt exactly small and there is almost no free space behind that dash as it is, so I ended up re routing the stock audio loom to the space under that white box that the aircon controls plug into, installing the PAC there and the running the wires from the PAC back up to the rear of the headunit behind the white box.

What an improvement!
After having used both i can say to anyone wondering that there is just no competition between the PAC interface and just a regular RCA loom. Definitely buy the PAC. Totally different sound. The punch is back!

Posted · Report post

Have you got any photos of your install?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Have you got any photos of your install?

I had to blur the screen so you couldnt see my terrible taste in music or background wallpapers!

20161024_154736 copy.jpg

Edited by Cam

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0