Welcome to Zclub - Australia's Largest Nissan 370Z and Nissan 350Z Forum
Register for FREE to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Brakes / Suspension woes

11 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hey guys

I have a problem with my car where braking at speeds above 90km/h in a straight line causes the car to dive to one side and become unstable, and it will begin to fishtail (with no steering input, VDC on). In general the car doesn't feel planted at all at any speed, but is very floaty and unstable at speeds over 90 of late. The car has stock suspension, 38, 000kms. 

I have new(ish) tyres (2 months old on the rear and 5 months old on the front, with 2000km driven this year on the fronts) and newish brake pads (4 months old, Project Mu NS400) on the car.

So I'm not sure if it's a general suspension problem, alignment, joints or a combination of those. What should I be looking at/for under the car this weekend (Mechanical noob)?

Posted · Report post

He's in Melbourne

Best to put the car in for service - or use somebody like Pedders

Posted · Report post

He's in Melbourne

Best to put the car in for service - or use somebody like Pedders

Yup, back to Pedders again. Bit over it to be honest.

Posted · Report post

If you already had it in a workshop and they failed to solve the problem don't take it back to the same workshop, go somewhere else

Posted · Report post

If you already had it in a workshop and they failed to solve the problem don't take it back to the same workshop, go somewhere else

Same company, but different workshop. That said when I took it last time, I had different tyres on and standard brake pads

Another thing someone mentioned may cause the issue is having two different tyres on. I have Toyo T1s upfront and Kumho KU39 at the back, first I've heard of that but I suppose it's possible?

Posted · Report post

No, that would not be the cause of those symptoms 

I suspect you have multiple problems but as it's a safety issue and you don't have experience/capability it's best for you to get it sorted professionally  

Posted · Report post

No, that would not be the cause of those symptoms 

I suspect you have multiple problems but as it's a safety issue and you don't have experience/capability it's best for you to get it sorted professionally  

Totally agree, I'll update the thread once the professionals give it a look over

Posted · Report post

Thought I'd give a bit of an update on this

Took it to Pedders and while under the car they discovered that the steering rack mounts are degraded. There's tonnes of play in the rack, so they will be replaced. The techs said this is definitely the bump steer issue.

Rear springs seat are also dry, but that's minor. No other issues were found, which surprises me.

I'm have a Whiteline front swaybar, so I'll get that done at the same time as the mounts

Oh and also discovered one of my Fast Intentions HFC's is cracked after the cat body :/

Cars, eh?

Posted · Report post

Thought I'd give a bit of an update on this

Took it to Pedders and while under the car they discovered that the steering rack mounts are degraded. There's tonnes of play in the rack, so they will be replaced. The techs said this is definitely the bump steer issue.

Rear springs seat are also dry, but that's minor. No other issues were found, which surprises me.

I'm have a Whiteline front swaybar, so I'll get that done at the same time as the mounts

Oh and also discovered one of my Fast Intentions HFC's is cracked after the cat body :/

Cars, eh?

Hey Mo, if you're after a new/used pair of cats, I have 2 available for sale depending on what sort of volume you're after. Both are quality and I can give you a deal. Save you from buying new again! Pm me if you're interested!

Posted · Report post

Hey Mo, if you're after a new/used pair of cats, I have 2 available for sale depending on what sort of volume you're after. Both are quality and I can give you a deal. Save you from buying new again! Pm me if you're interested!

Thanks James, I've seen your for sale post. Bit out my price range at this time of year