Welcome to Zclub - Australia's Largest Nissan 370Z and Nissan 350Z Forum
Register for FREE to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Replacing clutch, need advice

14 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

HI guys recently purchased a 350Z and have decided to join the forums for help and advice

my clutch has decided to pretty much start dying and slipping on me after driving a little too hard, so its time to replace it.

my questions is as I am being told different things by different people

being a dual mass flywheel do I need to replace both clutch and fly wheel? as some people tell me if the fly wheel is okay I could replace only the clutch place (around $350 from Nissan)

Other options are to get a conversion to a single flywheel or get another dual mass fly wheel clutch kit. 

I've also been told that if I go heavy duty they aren't the best to drive with and considering its my daily I want a comfortable clutch. 

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated everyone!

Posted · Report post

Flywheel usually needs to be machined and simplest way with DMFW is to replace it with single mass ... is a bit noiser but can be resurfaced later.

I would not fit a new clutch to a used DMFW, especially if the clutch is slipping now.\

I have an uprated clutch and it is a pr1ck to drive with but i have an engine upgrade on the way which is why I persist with it.

For a daily, talk to Australian Clutch Services in Adelaide about a single mass replacement flywheel and OEM standard clutch - they are the manufacturer and might refer you to one of their dealers.

Posted · Report post

Flywheel usually needs to be machined and simplest way with DMFW is to replace it with single mass ... is a bit noiser but can be resurfaced later.

I would not fit a new clutch to a used DMFW, especially if the clutch is slipping now.\

I have an uprated clutch and it is a pr1ck to drive with but i have an engine upgrade on the way which is why I persist with it.

For a daily, talk to Australian Clutch Services in Adelaide about a single mass replacement flywheel and OEM standard clutch - they are the manufacturer and might refer you to one of their dealers.

perfect!! That's exactly what I wanted to hear just wasn't sure about flywheel

i have a friend who seems to think the clutch isn't engaging properly as if I put my foot down in 3rd or 4th etc it revs up to around 5000rlm but then drops down before picking up speed 

Posted · Report post

I suspect that the clutch is worn/slipping. What you describe is the classic symptom of clutch that has reached the end of its life as the friction surface has worn to the edge of its tolerance. 

The more your drive it, the more damage you inflict on the flywheel as the friction (driven) plate is not rotating at the same speed as the flywheel and pressure plate. This causes heat to build up in the flywheel and is not good for the flywheel - too many heat/cool cycles will cause the flywheel friction surface to develop cracks and that can eventually lead to flywheel failure and you do not want that ....

Posted · Report post

I suspect that the clutch is worn/slipping. What you describe is the classic symptom of clutch that has reached the end of its life as the friction surface has worn to the edge of its tolerance. 

The more your drive it, the more damage you inflict on the flywheel as the friction (driven) plate is not rotating at the same speed as the flywheel and pressure plate. This causes heat to build up in the flywheel and is not good for the flywheel - too many heat/cool cycles will cause the flywheel friction surface to develop cracks and that can eventually lead to flywheel failure and you do not want that ....

okay thanks for your help! I'm ordering a clutch and flywheel in the next few days, I'm doin for a single mass conversion p

Posted · Report post

HI guys recently purchased a 350Z and have decided to join the forums for help and advice

my clutch has decided to pretty much start dying and slipping on me after driving a little too hard, so its time to replace it.

my questions is as I am being told different things by different people

being a dual mass flywheel do I need to replace both clutch and fly wheel? as some people tell me if the fly wheel is okay I could replace only the clutch place (around $350 from Nissan)

Other options are to get a conversion to a single flywheel or get another dual mass fly wheel clutch kit. 

I've also been told that if I go heavy duty they aren't the best to drive with and considering its my daily I want a comfortable clutch. 

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated everyone!

I recommend getting the exedy tuff sport HD clutch and single flywheel, I have one in my 07 350z which is used as a daily and the clutch is feels pretty much the same as stock

Posted · Report post

I recommend getting the exedy tuff sport HD clutch and single flywheel, I have one in my 07 350z which is used as a daily and the clutch is feels pretty much the same as stock

Thanks mate Ill look into it!

Posted · Report post

How do I check if my clutch is dieing? I have a high catch point but it has been like that 2 years now.

Posted · Report post

if the engine rpm increases without an associated increase in road speed - slippage 

Posted · Report post

if the engine rpm increases without an associated increase in road speed - slippage 

The way I test this is. i travel on gear 2 at say 30 km/h. Then while staying at same speed, I quickly let go of accelerator, press clutch, change to gear 5 or 6, then let go of clutch fully, and then fully press the accelerator. Whenever I do this, the engine struggles but no slippage. Means my clutch is ok? Is this a good test? 

Posted · Report post

At 30kmph in 5th or 6th you are well outside the power band, the engine may not be developing enough power at that low RPM to cause the clutch to slip

Get the car just rolling in 1st with the clutch up, floor the accelerator, if the engine RPM increases out of sync with road speed increase then you have a problem.  You could also use second but make sure you have over 2000 rpm when you floor it.

Posted · Report post

At 30kmph in 5th or 6th you are well outside the power band, the engine may not be developing enough power at that low RPM to cause the clutch to slip

Get the car just rolling in 1st with the clutch up, floor the accelerator, if the engine RPM increases out of sync with road speed increase then you have a problem.  You could also use second but make sure you have over 2000 rpm when you floor it.

Ok will try this out.

Posted · Report post

Ok will try this out.

Ok tried it out. There is no slippage. So I guess my clutch is ok?