Welcome to Zclub - Australia's Largest Nissan 370Z and Nissan 350Z Forum
Register for FREE to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Should I keep my 350Z?

10 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hi all,

I've barely had my 350Z for 4-5 months and already I'm feeling weary of my purchase :o

I purchased it with my heart... Loving Z's of all kinds without ever owning one or realizing how many 'basic' problems could probably arise...

Transmission, fuel gauge giving funky numbers, rear axle click upon changing gears at low speed etc.

I purchased mine originally for 15K and since then have spent:

$800 on fixing control arms etc (my fault didn't have car checked prior to purchase)

$On new brake pads and machining discs after some guy did a botch job

$1600 on new enkei's

$700 on tyres

$900 on new head unit, sub and 6.5 splits (and still have to install but doing myself)

Car has been resprayed before as well.

And whats actually broke the camels back is my fifth gear is grinding a bit of I change gears without paying attention and 'I think' my clutch slave cylinder is starting to go... (probably a throw out bearing to who knows....) Considering the purchase of a CD009 transmission from ConceptZ (1650 US atm) But it would be at least $600-700 AUS to install and that's not including freight costs.

From the outside the car looks amazing, I get looks all the time from all sorts which is nice (because its a 2003 car). But I can't believe I might be spending close to 1/3 of purchase price of the car. The only thing that can be said is that it has full service history (serviced every 5K's).

It's my fault a bit but sometimes I wish I could have just bought a Auto Camry :blink:

What do you guys think?

Posted · Report post

I feel for ya bud... You've had a bad run of luck. I know you love the car, but obviously it's starting to drain ur party funds.  So the big question is .. Do ya keep on fixing broken parts with better after market parts , on which you'll never get your money back. Or sell it or trade it for something else. (370z auto) ? Best of luck bud..

Posted · Report post

I might be taking it down to Hallam Autoworks tomorrow for a diagnostic see how that goes. I have heard that even on the CD009 5th gear isn't perfect, and only the 07/08's really got it right. The only way to really tell is to drive someone's later model Zed :wacko:

This definitely is an automotive/life lesson on sports cars, but why did it have to be me <_<

Depending on tomorrow's response I'll decide whether to keep or sell the vehicle. A shame I feel this way after 4-5 months of owning the car. Don't let me become another VW driver ...

Posted · Report post

Check the buy/sell section - there is a transmission for sale

It would be ridiculously expensive to buy & freight a gearbox from the USA

You'll probably need to do the clutch when you pull the gearbox

You can part out the wheels, tyres and stereo - you're only out of pocket for the control arms and the brakes, no big deal. However the gearbox will certainly put you out of pocket - trouble is, what resale do you have with the car in that condition???  Either pay $3k to fix it or drop $3k on the sale price - only you can decide

Posted · Report post

Hang on hang on, lets take a step back for a sec and really assess whats what here.....

You realise half the stuff you listed here is normal wear and tear things that need to be fixed wether its an Auto camry, 350z or a lambo.....

Tyres HAVE to be replaced regardless of what car it is, brakes have to be replaced and some other bits you have chosen to install yourself, such as a $900 head unit and enkei wheels! So really what's been the "fault" of the car that you've had to lash out on?

If its clunking into gear then it probably will be the syncros, which are often a sacrificial part anyway. I dunno what happened with the control arms. Ill assume the either the bushes needed ot be replaced, in which case if you DIY it, its very easy to do, but its expensive when you pay someone else only because its time consuming.

Its all part of maintaining a car man, if you want to keep it nice (which sounds like you do) then be prepared to dish out the cash, thats part of buying a used car also, 

The point i'm eluding too is "yes" keep your 350z, sounds like normal 13 year old car stuff to me and honestly you've spent barely anything on it from what you've written.... My mate just spent $16,000 on a rebuilt 13b, a port, new ecu and tune, and other bits and pieces... thats in a car with 109,000km on the clock!

My next question is do you DIY fix stuff or pay someone else to do it? One way to feel more sure about the car is educate yourself. If you understand whats going on, it doesnt seem like a mystery and an unknown of "Whats going to happen next" 

If you like the car, dont sell it, fix it and keep it. You cant really used the arguement "ive spent 50% on the full value of the car, therefore its a lemon" because as cars get older, things need to be replaced and usually the price of those parts doesnt often change. So when the car is brand new @ $70k, a $2000 part is cheap, when its $20k its 10% of the value of the car, but think you havent had to wear that $50k depreciation on the price either

Posted · Report post

I have had my 350z for a year+ now and had no issues at all apart from the normal wear and tear like brake pads etc.

Posted · Report post

I see your point 13 and it is a good one. Ultimately i have myself to blame (a lesson learnt) in that i didnt inspect the car properly and found later that it had been guttered and not fixed until i got my hands on it (alas the control arms etc). I had a diagnostic done today and turns out nothing seems out of the ordinary. Additionally i took it out for a extensive drive purposely up/downshifting and put any grinding down to my own poor driving. Though the diagnostic revealved that the airbag module on passenger side/front is faulty!?! And the reason i never saw it is that the bulb apparently was taken out of the instruments panel... so ive been told. Again im more or less concerned that more random rubbish ia gonna keep propping up (although im told ive probably fixed every little thing on the car now already!). I think im just 'cough' emotionally tired of having to worry every month something comes up and would just rather a new car from scratch... though something tells me ill be making another big mistake... Thanks for the help though. Ill have to ponder this out. Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

Posted · Report post

Beauty of car is mostly everything can be fixed!

Posted · Report post

Hi Pinto

i think many of us on here have faced what you are facing right now, to a lesser extent possibly more.

in the end it's all down to how and if you can sustain this financially. Was the car bought cash or personal loan or even car loan? Financial hassles are some of the worst hassles to have and sometimes you have to cut your losses. This may be easier than it sounds depending how it was purchased.

on the flip side, if your going to keep the car and DIY and have a run about car then all is not lost depending how mech tech savvy you are. You will save money as most of it is time you would otherwise be paying someone else for. 

You couldn't help the design fault in the gearbox so be fair on yourself and it was only just a matter of time. however some people who sell cars that don't disclose issues aren't very nice. It's the reason I went through a dealer but it's not always the case the car you want is from a dealer. 

I personally have been where you are right now. Bought a 32 gtr 2 months later clutch went.3k later got it fixed drove it for 3 more months and then sold it because I wasn't prepared to pay for anymore things that may pop up majorly. I felt a ton of weight lifted and it was a personal loan so it made things a bit easier.

do what's right for you because when you close your eyes at night, it's not us that has to deal with it, it's you.

3f7

Posted · Report post

Early manual g/boxes are a known issue.......your Camry will bore you to death in short order......treat it like a project and do stuff as you can afford.......while it gets you to work...