Welcome to Zclub - Australia's Largest Nissan 370Z and Nissan 350Z Forum
Register for FREE to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Next generation Z car could be a crossover (SUV)

23 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

http://www.caradvice.com.au/376439/next-nissan-z-car-could-be-a-crossover-report/

The next-generation Nissan Z-car could well be a performance-oriented crossover vehicle, if reports out of England are to be believed.

An inside source has told Autocar that the new Nissan Z-car will be a small, sporty crossover vehicle around the size of current Juke.

While the Juke has been designed to fit four to five people in relative comfort, the new Z-branded vehicle will have a more coupe-like roofline that will significantly reduce headroom for the rear passengers. It’s not known, at this stage, whether the new Z will be a three-door, or a five-door with hidden rear door handles.

A number of design proposals are said to be on the table at the moment, with the most extreme of these expected to debut at this year’s Frankfurt motor show as a concept car.

The new Z-car will be underpinned by a version of front- and all-wheel drive CMF (common module family) platform that’s being progressively introduced on new Renault and Nissan vehicles, such as the Nissan Qashqai and Renault Kadjar.

Nissan_370Z_Nismo_2015.thumb.jpg.90d6f45

According to the British magazine, the rationale behind moving the Z nameplate to a sporty crossover is that the market for small-ish sports cars, especially in keys markets, such as Japan and the USA, is shrinking by the day.

On the other hand, the global appetite for crossover vehicles seems to know no bounds and it’s hoped that the cachet of the Z brand will entice a new generation of buyers into the fold.

Nissan has also reportedly investigated making the next-generation Z a bigger, more powerful coupe, as well as shrinking it to be a smaller, four-cylinder vehicle similar in essence to the IDx concepts. The business cases for both of these scenarios, apparently, did not pass muster.

The current Z-car, the 370Z, is due to end production some time in 2017.

---

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/report-nissan-to-unveil-suv-successor-to-370z-20150826-gj7ysk.html

Nissan_Juke.thumb.jpg.d432cf72ee7e5db135

Nissan looks set to turn its iconic line of Z sportscars into a sub-brand that includes a compact SUV.

The marque's family of two-door, six-cylinder coupes ranging from the 240Z of 1969 to the 370Z on sale today look unlikely to be followed by a new model that continues the development of increasingly powerful machines.

Nissan_370Z_Roadster_2012.thumb.jpg.42be

UK publication Autocar reports that the Nissan is set to reveal a sports SUV concept at next month's Frankfurt motor show that could become the future of the brand.

That would represent a significant departure from the status quo for Nissan, but it gels with what Nissan designer Shiro Nakamura told Drive during an interview earlier this year.

"Z is a different story," he said.

"350Z, 370Z, I don't think the next one will be 390Z. It's not growing, it's already big enough.

"I don't think we should go any higher, maybe go backwards.

"We haven't decided anything about the next-generation Z, whether it should be larger or have more power. We need to take another pass."

A Z-branded SUV could sit above the Nissan Juke Nismo crossover that could be on its way to Australia in 2016.

Exactly what form it would take remains to be seen, though Nakamura said the brand is keen to try "a couple of alternatives" that take the Z-car out of familiar territory, a possible hint that the Japanese brand could join the growing league of coupe-like crossovers.

"Z is made not necessarily to be a pure sports car," he said.

"Because the original 240Z is not really a pure sports car, it's more like... lifestyle, and trendy

"At that time there was no crossovers. There was no anything other than sedans and sports cars.

"So at that time a hatchback, practical two-seater, with nice packaging and affordable was welcomed by a young audience.

"What is today welcomed by young people, affordable and fits their lifestyle may not be the same packaging.

"Z is not a pure sports car - GT-R is a pure sports car, performance is number one - but for Z, not necessarily is performance number one."

Posted · Report post

Wow guess we better buy a spare 370z and lock it away.... Just can't believe that this is the path they want to take but with a lot of the other major car brands doing crossovers and mini SUVs the sheep shall follow the Hurd. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted · Report post

I wouldn't believe a word written on drive.com.au for a start.

So some designer has a brain fart to the press and all of a sudden the next Z is going to be an SUV? A designer who thinks the 240z wasn't a sports car? 

All Z cars have been built as sports cars so I'm unsure how  he arrived at that conclusion.

Nissan already have the X-Trail, the Dualis/Qashqai, Pathfinder, Murano, Patrol, Navara etc etc so why they think they need another 2 tonne crapbox is beyond me, just don't stick Z badges on it to make it appeal to idiots who don't know any better.

Posted · Report post

Yeah, I really couldn't see this happening.

It doesn't make any sense at all for them to move the Z out of a market where it is one of the best selling sports car lines in the world, and position it as a "small sporty crossover vehicle". Not when they can just make a small sporty crossover vehicle and call it a Nissan Jizz or something like that.

It would alienate current Z owners, and damage the Z brand.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think Nissan have enough SUVs in the range:

• Juke
  • Qashqai/Dualis
  • X-Trail
  • Murano
  • Navara
  • Pathfinder
  • Patrol

Most of these models have variants as well.

I hope Nissan can come up with a business case to continue keeping the Z a dedicated sports car.

It's speculation at the moment.

One can only hope.

Edited by badthing

Posted · Report post

I'll believe it when I see it. If Nissan wants to totally lose respect, that's the way to do it.

Posted · Report post

To be honest I'm not sure what Nissan are doing lately. All they are doing is brining out different versions of the same cars, ie Nismo versions of 370Z, GTR. Something FRESH perhaps? I would understand a car being released to rival the 86/BRZ similar to the iDX concept, but not sure this is going to production anymore. Need to keep the Nissan fans interested by releasing concepts or at least providing details to maintain excitement. I'm not a marketer but surely that's common sense right?

Posted · Report post

It seems to be the trend these days to play it safe in manufacturing and ignore enthusiast customers. The Toyota 86/Subaru BRZ is a perfect example, they ran out the door at first and then everybody realised how desperately it needed more power. Customers/Dealers/everybody else in the auto industry jumped up and down and let Toyota know what the issue was, and they ignored it. Sales fell way short of expected volume and all plans for variants (turbo, convertible etc) were dropped. Has anyone else noticed the glut of 86's in the second hand market?

Posted · Report post

It seems to be the trend these days to play it safe in manufacturing and ignore enthusiast customers. The Toyota 86/Subaru BRZ is a perfect example, they ran out the door at first and then everybody realised how desperately it needed more power. Customers/Dealers/everybody else in the auto industry jumped up and down and let Toyota know what the issue was, and they ignored it. Sales fell way short of expected volume and all plans for variants (turbo, convertible etc) were dropped. Has anyone else noticed the glut of 86's in the second hand market?

Sure Have....

Posted · Report post

Toyota went from the awesome Twin Turbo Supra to the pedestrian 86 - pathetic really.

Posted · Report post

God damn I hope that story is talking rubbish.  Otherwise my 2012 370Z will end up being my last Z as well as my first one :(  Oh well, at least it's not got too many kms on it, should be fine for a good decade or two yet.  Might become worth something as a collectors item if Nissan do go down this path :P

And if so... what the hell are we all supposed to do for our next cars?  I've always had a soft spot for the Mustang, I guess, and now they're selling an RHD version of that in Australia (I think the V8 version is similar in price to the 370Z?) that might end up being the way to go.  It's no Z, though :(

Posted · Report post

Please don't cock up the Z by turning it into an SUV!  It's not a practical family car, nor do we want it to be!

The Juke is the ugliest car in the world!

Posted · Report post

Apart from the Z and the GTR ( I don't need an AWD ) I really don't have any feel for much or any of the Nissan range.

They seem to think they have an superlative model range, when in fact they are pretty average.  This gives them the right to over price!!!!!  

Pulsar - Tiida !!! - Pulsar. What are they doing? I can go on.

I wonder how they will price a Nismo 370 if it's released here ! It reads like a beauty.

Posted · Report post

They unveiled the new 'Gripz' concept car yesterday:

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/09/nissans-gripz-concept-is-z-branded.html

http://jalopnik.com/the-nissan-gripz-concept-is-a-z-inspired-crossover-that-1730745581

Based on the name and what I've read, it doesn't look like it will replace the Z, but instead it's been inspired by the Z among other things....but they haven't really released too many details by the looks of it.

Would be interesting to see what an actual production model would look like. I don't mind the look of it, but then again, I always like the futuristic concept designs.

Posted · Report post

They unveiled the new 'Gripz' concept car yesterday:

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/09/nissans-gripz-concept-is-z-branded.html

http://jalopnik.com/the-nissan-gripz-concept-is-a-z-inspired-crossover-that-1730745581

Based on the name and what I've read, it doesn't look like it will replace the Z, but instead it's been inspired by the Z among other things....but they haven't really released too many details by the looks of it.

Would be interesting to see what an actual production model would look like. I don't mind the look of it, but then again, I always like the futuristic concept designs.

It's a mix of the Juke, Z, and 240z rally versions.

I think Nissan is at least partially going the way of Mitsi. Diluting styling and brand appear by applying it to cooking models in the range - i.e. the tail lights and other styling cues on the Juke being lifted from the Z, like Mitsi did with the (aged as hell) Lancer. They applied that same front to everything and diluted their styling. 

I think the Japanese manufacturers are scared to produce bespoke sports cars like they used to. The Germans are doing a little bit better in this regard, though they still put everything in the Golf (Which I respect highly as a vehicle but I don't want my sports car to look like a cooking model).

Toyota bucked the trend a bit with the 86, and it's sold like crazy. I think Nissan could crush it with a new Silvia (say, same size as the 86, turbo 4 donk) and a return to a turbocharged Z (plop a snail on the current VQ or make it smaller) without cannibalizing GTR sales (Which is now in a supercar league in terms of price).

It would be nice if Nissan could do something like this for the replacement Zed...

This Car started out as a 370Z Donor Car.... Go to the link below to read the full article & Info... Phenomenal power from the twin turbo kit etc

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1100166_german-sports-car-startup-halcn-unveils-falcarto-at-frankfurt-auto-show-video

halcn-supersport-falcarto-2015-frankfurt-auto-show_100528921_h.jpg

halcn-supersport-falcarto-2015-frankfurt-auto-show_100528924_h.jpg

halcn-supersport-falcarto-2015-frankfurt-auto-show_100528931_h.jpg

halcn-supersport-falcarto-2015-frankfurt-auto-show_100528932_h.jpg

halcn-supersport-falcarto-2015-frankfurt-auto-show_100528938_h.jpg

halcn-supersport-falcarto-2015-frankfurt-auto-show_100528939_h.jpg

halcn-supersport-falcarto-2015-frankfurt-auto-show_100528940_h.jpg

halcn-supersport-falcarto-2015-frankfurt-auto-show_100528941_h.jpg

Edited by Gazza Wood

Posted · Report post

Eugh, I think the Falcato looks even worse. Such a mish mash of styling. Side profile angles look absolutely terrible. 

Posted · Report post

Looks like a silvia

Stuff it, I photoshopped my own concept Z

400z.jpg

Edited by Mo

Mate! you don't have to get upset....... I am a Zed Die hard! I'm on my Fourth ZED!! I was only taking the piss with my last two Posts...!! Lol...

Seriously though - Nissan need to take a long hard look at what they should do for a future Zeeee!

It's Gotta be a 2 door Powerhouse for sure..!! Anything less is just Bullshit!

Is that the Aston Martin or the Jaguar prototype you "Shopped" or a Mix of both?

Gary..

Edited by Gazza Wood

Posted · Report post

Mate! you don't have to get upset....... I am a Zed Die hard! I'm on my Fourth ZED!! I was only taking the piss with my last two Posts...!! Lol...

Seriously though - Nissan need to take a long hard look at what they should do for a future Zeeee!

It's Gotta be a 2 door Powerhouse for sure..!! Anything less is just Bullshit!

Is that the Aston Martin or the Jaguar prototype you "Shopped" or a Mix of both?

Gary..

Ahh text based communication. I'm not upset at all :)

Didn't take any DNA from the Brits. This is actually based on a the Infiniti Q80 concept

Posted · Report post

Looks like it may well be true...

http://mobile.news.com.au/technology/innovation/nissan-shows-off-its-electric-driverless-future-at-the-tokyo-motor-show/story-fnjwucvh-1227585948773?sv=42593f06d2cf214fea3b03759d2eaaf4

"Also shown off was a concept for one of Australia’s most popular car markets, the crossover SUV. Called the Gripz, the concept was actually inspired by Nissan’s Z series of cars and will be the spiritual successor to the current 370z sports car."

If that... thing... is the next Z, then I'm so glad I took the plunge when I did and got myself a 370Z because it looks like it'll be my only Z :(