Welcome to Zclub - Australia's Largest Nissan 370Z and Nissan 350Z Forum
Register for FREE to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Final drive

12 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Has anyone changed the final drive gear ratios. Is it a worth while mod for a street car?

Posted · Report post

It's something we do to track cars for improved acceleration,

on a street car you'll use more fuel and have more engine noise (due to higher RPM)

Posted · Report post

In my 370Z, moving from the OEM 3.7:1 to 4.08:1 caused a 10% increase in fuel consumption in DD.

It also reduced track-day lap time by an average of 1-second/lap at PI and Sandown ....... worth it from my perspective, but I am a track junkie.

RB

Posted · Report post

10% increase in fuel consumption doesn't sound too bad . Was there a big improvement in acceleration? How much did the install cost you?

Posted · Report post

I purchased a second-hand diff out of a wreck, a KAAZ 2-way centre at the same time as the gears, bearing and spacer and with assembly/fitting, it is not cheap.

Ring/pinion gears plus bearing and spacer kit figure on AUD1K imported from the US including freight

KAAZ 2-way was 1200, sourced here

2nd hand diff from wrecker was 400 and

pull the diff apart and fit new gears and centre, do clearances and adjust backlash, remove current diff (now fitted with 3.9 ratio) and fit new diff containing the 4.08:1 to the car is another 600, so figure on ~2800 to change your own diff and 3200 all up if you purchase another diff case and internals.

The car is  noticeably more responsive, but the down side is the engine runs out of revs in 2nd gear at just under 100kph .........

Posted · Report post

If you do change the final drive, do yourself a favor and get a LSD at the same time

Posted · Report post

Sorry for the revival of this post but US 370Z owners who did the FD change notes that SRM is off by a couple hundred rpms. To those with a local manual 370z with a 3.9/4.08 FD, do you guys suffer a similar issue? And if so, how did you rectify it?

Posted · Report post

Sorry for the revival of this post but US 370Z owners who did the FD change notes that SRM is off by a couple hundred rpms. To those with a local manual 370z with a 3.9/4.08 FD, do you guys suffer a similar issue? And if so, how did you rectify it?

3.9 you won't really notice the SRM but with 4.08 you will.

ECUTEK tune can correct it

Posted · Report post

Bgtv8, are you using a 3.9 or 4.08 at the moment? What are your thoughts?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm running a 4.08 FD and replaced all the bearing etc..and also replace the LSD with quaife LSD.. Loving it and would'nt go back, not my DD but even if it was fuel consumption is not that noticeable..

Edited by BEN313