Welcome to Zclub - Australia's Largest Nissan 370Z and Nissan 350Z Forum
Register for FREE to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Rattle in gearbox

29 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hey..

I have heard all about that we have loud gearbox noise etc but I'm not sure if mine is normal.

I have a 2013 370. When I'm sitting still and out of gear, I hear a constant crackle/rattle sounds like from the gearbox.

When I put it in gear or put my foot on the clutch it stops.

Also lately I have slightly bunny hopping on slow take off which I thought it was me just losing my mind but now I think that the friction point in the clutch just has no play.

Not sure if I am clear but any suggestions?

Posted · Report post

Exactly the same with mine. Plus gearbox whine in 1st and 2nd gear. Sorry buddy, I have no answer for you. I keep getting told "...it's normal..." so unless the car blows up I have just had to come to grips with these just being characteristics of a 370Z.

Posted · Report post

The bunny hopping could be due to the rear diff bush being burst

Sounds like the gearbox input shaft as wear

If you turn the engine off in gear with the clutch up, does the gearbox rattle?

Also turn the engine off with the clutch down to compare

Posted · Report post

Hey..

I have heard all about that we have loud gearbox noise etc but I'm not sure if mine is normal.

I have a 2013 370. When I'm sitting still and out of gear, I hear a constant crackle/rattle sounds like from the gearbox.

When I put it in gear or put my foot on the clutch it stops.

Also lately I have slightly bunny hopping on slow take off which I thought it was me just losing my mind but now I think that the friction point in the clutch just has no play.

Not sure if I am clear but any suggestions?

Mine makes the same sound when idling, initially I though a bearing in the clutch had failed but heaps of manual owners on here have the same noise. Also when I release the clutch it feels grippy ie not exactly smooth but I have just got used to it now and accept it as normal.

Posted · Report post

How many km's on the clock approx - just out of curiosity =]

Posted · Report post

Mine is the same, and a rattle when you turn if off with the clutch out. only 37,000kms
kind of disappointing really, my 250.000kms 17 year old manual Magna's gear box and clutch is whisper quiet, and its been taken to the drags and taken some punishment most of its life.

Posted · Report post

I get the same rattle when I turn off with the clutch out with 41,000 kms.

Posted · Report post

The bunny hopping could be due to the rear diff bush being burst

Sounds like the gearbox input shaft as wear

If you turn the engine off in gear with the clutch up, does the gearbox rattle?

Also turn the engine off with the clutch down to compare

Posted · Report post

Will check it out in the morning. Appreciate the feedback...

Posted · Report post

Exactly the same with mine. Plus gearbox whine in 1st and 2nd gear. Sorry buddy, I have no answer for you. I keep getting told "...it's normal..." so unless the car blows up I have just had to come to grips with these just being characteristics of a 370Z.

Posted · Report post

Everyone says its a z thing but really shits me to the point that I am going to look into a golf r

Posted · Report post

How many km's on the clock approx - just out of curiosity =]

Posted · Report post

I get the same rattle when I turn off with the clutch out with 41,000 kms.

Posted · Report post

Mine is the same, and a rattle when you turn if off with the clutch out. only 37,000kms

kind of disappointing really, my 250.000kms 17 year old manual Magna's gear box and clutch is whisper quiet, and its been taken to the drags and taken some punishment most of its life.

Posted · Report post

Agree. Love my car but really not liking the gearbox and clutch set up.

And my discs shitting themselves after just 21k.. lol thats another story though

Posted · Report post

...Hi all; My first post here.

Took delivery of my 'new' 2003 Z33 3 days ago - Notice on night one when driven into the garage for it's first sleep, the very same 'noisy at idle with clutch pedal OUT, but dissapears when clutch depressed (as in, pushed down to floor, not as in sad mood!) :P

Thought it was for sure a throwout bearing, but googling next day (and logic) said from about 50 results I read, 'it's normal' and 'noise STILL there after I got bearing replaced'

...Of COURSE when you nut it out - IF it was a throwout bearing, it'd only be present when clutch pushed IN!

SO; looks like (happily, tho shocked) it IS 'normal'
Service manual suggests changing gearbox oil (as one answer) so I'll DO that anyway, but I don't expect a fix..

Most certainly wouldn't have expected that in a fairly modern car.

PS; LOVE the car - I swapped my 1985 Corvette for it!
(so now only have one corvette left for sale - a showcar, full custom..BUT; I digress)

Posted · Report post

On a 2003 it's likely to be a worn input shaft bearing at the very least, if not a worn out gearbox

Posted · Report post

REALLY?

Box is terrific - shift is awesome, like gate shift.

Posted · Report post

Yep - it will still work fine - just has a lot in common with a tractor when it gets to that stage

Posted · Report post

I also get the rattle when clutch out in idle, noticed it not too long ago, mentioned to mechanics on service and they said if it got any worse it may require repair/replacement, 03 350z though, still works at the moment and clutch just makes a fair bit of noise as it is.

Posted · Report post

Yep - same issue - how many km's on both of your cars?

Mine had 252,000km when I replaced the box

Posted · Report post

180,000km on mine.

NO gearbox rattles when driving.

Posted · Report post

They don't rattle under load - but they are certainly worn out by the time they reach that many km