Welcome to Zclub - Australia's Largest Nissan 370Z and Nissan 350Z Forum
Register for FREE to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Timing chain rattle - 06 Rev Up - Quick Fix?

13 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hi All

So family first and time has come to trade the Z.  As murphy's law would have it I have now developed the timing chain rattle right ahead of my trade.  This seems strange given my Z (06 Rev Up Track 6MT) has a sum total of 46,000km's on the clock and has lived a sheltered life.

Given I will be trading it for a low ball price (second hand market is not so good anyway) and do not want to spend bulk cash is there any "quick fix" for this?  Some US forums suggest a filter change or different oil but I can't find anyone that has actually be successful with this.

Thanks in advance
350Z_QLD

Posted · Report post

It's a straight forward job to replace the timing chain, it's just a fair bit of fiddly work, I would not be surprised if it cost $1k+ in labour alone.

What oil are you currently using?

I don't know if the tensioner ever gets stuck,

but maybe using an oil flush product and new good quality oil (3W30) would be worth a try.

It does not cost much and always good to have new/clean oil in the engine when selling/trading

(Cars that aren't used much certainly do experience problems)

Posted · Report post

I am using whatever oil the stealership has been putting in there.  I do expect it is a little expensive but I did let the trade guy know she was a little noisy.  I will change the oil before trading anyway.  Sad really I was actyually going to start modding her (bought Hi-Tech Cat Back, full K&N incduction, Eibach Springs new factory front splitter ) but life got in the way a bit.  I always used to wonder why people hard parts in boxes purchased but never used (like my Eibach springs, brand new Nismo shift knob and front splitrer) and now I know!!!  If you know anyone that wants any Z gear give me a holler as I its going cheap (just dont want to give it to the stealership on a measly trade price).

Posted · Report post

Well, dealerships tend to use pretty good oil (it's in their interest to do so), although they charge well for for it...

Life often gets in the way of hobbies, know the feeling!

You should be able to get 60%~70% back on new and desirable parts - put them into the for sale section for sure

I just had an idea - there is a small service plate over the main chain tensioner!

So get the workshop to look into the problem for you - just in case there is an easy fix

Posted · Report post

Martin - thanks I will get them to have a look -at that and will advertise those bits here when my post count gets up.

Posted · Report post

Is it making the noise on start-up when cold?  This is a common occurance with the VQ35 engine and is often to do with the tensioner needing adjusting.  Also, VQ35's need their oil changed on time or things like this start to appear.  If you've recently done oil/filters then try the tensioner first, otherwise try the oil change first.

Posted · Report post

Axloz. Yeah it is a only on startup after it warms up for 10 minutes or so its ok (I guess when the oil pressure builds). As I rarely drive the car I probably do not change the oil as a regularly as I should servicing more to km's than time.  I will try changing the oil and filter first and if that does not work will have my mechnaic look at the tensioner and see if it can be adjusted.  I must have a Friday car because even with the low km's I have had every "common problem" that the Z's have (axle clicking, interior paint coming off, clutch pedal travel issue, battery going flat all the time ... and the list goes on)

Posted · Report post

Thats a bummer..  Some cars need to be driven often to stay happy, maybe yours just needs some more action?

So your timing chain is rattling for ~10 mins before it stops?  You should get that checked asap..  The 'common' version of this is that they rattle for a few seconds at most, or enough time for the chain to lube up properly.

I'd definitely try the oil and filter first though, as that could cause it regardless.  Use decent oil, and rule of thumb is to change it every 5000kms or 9 months (whatever comes first), though you can stretch this out if its behaving to more like 8000kms or 12 months (others may have different opinions here - I err on the side of caution and change often).

Also, what colour is your current oil when you check it, and how long has it been in there?

Posted · Report post

axloz - what oil and filter would you recommend?  Might give it a change this weekend and see if it makes any difference. 

Posted · Report post

Axloz. Yeah it is a only on startup after it warms up for 10 minutes or so its ok (I guess when the oil pressure builds).

As I rarely drive the car I probably do not change the oil as a regularly as I should servicing more to km's than time.

I must have a Friday car because even with the low km's I have had every "common problem" that the Z's have (axle clicking, interior paint coming off, clutch pedal travel issue, battery going flat all the time ... and the list goes on)

The oil pressure is huge immediately and decreases as the engine and oil heat up

Watch your oil pressure gauge

Definitely change the oil and filter - just use the filter from Repco

Axle clicking is a worry - could be the CV's and they are a tad expensive

Clutch pedal travel issue - this is during stop start traffic, pedal goes mushy?  That can be fixed easy

Battery going flat all the time - Me too!!!  What causes this problem???

Posted · Report post

axloz - what oil and filter would you recommend?  Might give it a change this weekend and see if it makes any difference. 

I couldn't tell you to be honest..  Someone on here will likely know some good products, otherwise ask your mechanic, or go with whatever nissan recommends.  Don't cheap out on it though.

I just run on the advice I get from my mechanic - he's a skyline enthusiast and knows these engines inside-out, and is decent enough to chat to me about the common issues and the like.  He also says its always best to try the least invasive solutions first, which is why I'd say do the oil/filter first.

Posted · Report post

axle clicking is a common issue especially on the earlier models 03-05. If the click is heard when taking off slowly or reversing slowly from take off the noise is coming from incorrectly torqued nut on the rear axles.

The TSB says to replace a whole bunch of parts but Nissan AU just re-torques the nuts. I had the issue on my 03 and once re-torqued issue never returned

http://www.notre350z.com/forum/files/uploads/dold/1207422654_ClickClack.pdf

Posted · Report post

Well oil changed, pressure up and problem solved.  Off to the dealer she goes for the trade!