Welcome to Zclub - Australia's Largest Nissan 370Z and Nissan 350Z Forum
Register for FREE to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Lube change frequency

14 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hi guys, I'm sure this has come up a number of times over the years, but I couldn't find anything conclusive searching the forums.

SO... I deduced from the maintenance log book:

Oil - 5,000km

Diff - 20,000km

Transmission - ??

My 03 Z has done 126,000kms now (which ain't bad for the age), but the only time I can tell the trans oil has been changed was at 106,000km. How often should I be changing it?

I last did my diff oil at 108,000km, so it's due soon enough.

BTW - Autobarn has 20% this weekend. 6L of Penrite HPR5 5W40 for $51.99 is good buying...

Posted · Report post

Love the Penrite oils,  i use it for the engine, power steering, diff and gear box.  The shifting is really sweet , even on coldish days.  I like more so than the Redline.

I do engine every 5000km and i'v changed the GB and diff 3 times since i'v had it. Roughly every 20000kms, but i'm sure the intervals are much longer.  

Go stock up . 

Posted · Report post

The Penrite ProGear 75w-90 fully synthetic is very very good when hot, fast and silky smooth gear changes

Posted · Report post

Well, this is embarrassing; I realised that I'd previously used GL5 last time I replaced the trans fluid. That means it's done 20,000km with the wrong fluid. I really hope it hasn't done too much damage.

The upside to the change is how much smoother it is now. Kind of compounds the mistake though...

Also, I think I overtightened my trans and diff plugs last time, as they were a son of a bitch to get off.

Posted · Report post

You might get away if it's one of the newer MT oils which are rated for GL4 and GL5 (i think it's called GL4+ ??).

I learnt the hard way on my previous car when i didn't pay attention to the GL rating. Heck, i thought that if the viscosity was correct, it'll do.

Wasn't cheap (the oil) and wasn't fun enduring a whole day cruise with a crunchy, stiff shifter.

Posted · Report post

It was Penrite Pro Gear 75W-90 GL5. I've switched to Penrite Pro Gear 75W-85 GL4 and the difference is night and day. I feel like a bad owner knowing now what that trans has been through.

I'm going to have to use a breaker on my diff plugs which is not a good sign...

Posted · Report post

Yeah, not a good sign, put the copper anti seize onto the thread when you do them up

Posted · Report post

The torque setting for all those plugs is somewhere around 20 ft/lb, which is equivalent to about a quarter turn with a 1/4-inch tool. I've had to replace one of the drain plugs before from over-tightening, was lucky to get it out.

FWIW, I change diff every few track days and transmission when it starts to feel crunchy, usually around 3-4 track days. I use the Motul gear stuff in my car.

Posted · Report post

Thanks guys. Yeah, I came across the torque specs the other day. It's possible I had checked them before my last lube change but it seems unlikely given how tight they are now.

Worst case for the diff, I'd just replace the cover. Gearbox scares me a little because the thread on one of the plugs had deteriorated slightly. I had to give it a light filing. Feeling around the plug holes, there were some sharp, irregular edges...

Posted · Report post

Nissan dealers usually put diff and gearbox oil on the 40,000km for the Z's

Other models 40,000km diff and transfer and 100,000km gearbox

The factory fill in the gearbox in fact lasts for 100,000km anyway so wouldn't stress overly.

The only concerning part is that it is normally 100,000 or 5 years, when you say it was just done at 106 im assuming that was like 1-2 years ago, so that would make that oil 8-9 years old. Thats where people forget to keep up.

Posted · Report post

Dredging this one up. How about power steer fluid? I've read a few forums that suggest it's unnecessary outside of a top up?

Posted · Report post

Depends on what oil is in there, if it was mineral maybe ~3 years, if it's a high quality synthetic maybe 4 years

The 350Z does get the power steering fluid hot on autocross events - heat kills oil

Posted · Report post

It hasn't been changed in the 6 years I've owned it. Go with Penrite PS fluid?

Posted · Report post

Yes - Penrite have a nice synthetic you can use