Welcome to Zclub - Australia's Largest Nissan 370Z and Nissan 350Z Forum
Register for FREE to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Entry level coilover

17 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hi All,

I am looking to invest in a set of coilovers around tax time this year, so I thought to do some research prior to making any decisions. The reasoning behind going for a coilover setup is that I am looking for height and dampening adjustability, as such a lowering spring solution would not satisfy my needs.

As my car is a DD and never sees any track time, I cannot justify a $2k+ price tag on a set of coils, and as such would like some experienced advice in regards to the quality, performance and most of all safety of the following three entry level coilovers.

- STD coilovers: A Perth based brand, which from the below link look to offer a quality product. Installed and aligned $1.3k.

http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/evolution-r/47850-std-coilovers-brake-kits-twin-plate-clutch-kit-html

- BC Racing coilover (BR): A tried and trusted coilover on the Z34 platform, but a little more expensive than the STD's.

- Powertrix coilovers: Very common amongst the Z32 community, but am yet to hear anyone applying them to the Z34 platform.

I am open to any other brand suggestions.

Cheers,

RedZ

Posted · Report post

I used to get STD coilovers through my shop for a while. They are a taiwanese made brand that is big in the drifting scene. There are 3 levels r1, r3 and r5. R3 and 5 are near identical except for rear pillow ball mounts. They are a decent coilover for the price. Just not known here very well yet. Bc are a great coilover as well. Shouldnt have any issues with these. HSD are another brand to look at. Good product and price point.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for that supepico. They are a great price, and from what I can tell, look like decent quality as well.

Would you recommend R1, R3 or R5 for daily street use?

Posted · Report post

RedZ,

Have a look at Yellowspeed coilovers. They make two types, one for racing and the other for street use. I have both. My Z runs their street version and my Mx5 runs their race version. It is a race car after all. Now the important thing for you is they are under 1k for the street version and perform extremely well. Don't let the 10kg/mm front and 7kg/mm springs make you shy away. They work very well on the street and are a quality item. Not well known at this stage but very well known in the Mx5 community. Some of the fastest Mx5 are using them. The general consensus it they are on par with BC coilovers. USA made and definately look good. They only thing is my car is a 350Z so you'll need to look into whether they make them for the 370Z. Can't see why not.

Hope this helps - John

Posted · Report post

Thanks John, I'll be sure to consider them when the time comes.

A question to all the suspension gurus on here, what spring rate would you recommend for a street only application, considering the roads I travel on are relatively new/smooth.

Posted · Report post

On good/smooth roads you can go very hard

It's poor/rough conditions and speed humps/cat eyes/driveways/pot holes and your personal preference that limit hardness

If you want firm/sporty perhaps up to 10kg on the front and 7~7.5kg on the rear

Posted · Report post

Thanks MartinZ.

After doing some brief research on Yellowepeeds, I don't think I'll be going with them. General consensus seems to be that they suffer from inconsistent dampening.

At this stage BC coilovers are in the lead to be taking my hard earned money, as they seem to get good reviews across the bank. Would anyone be able to recommend an australian dealer to avoid the nasty import taxes?

I am although still very open to hear other brand suggestions and experiences, in order to make an educated decision.

Posted · Report post

Overnight I received response from the local STD distributor (a little bit of an unfortunate name to say the least ;) ).

He recommended the R3 coilover for street use, and also offered to take me for a ride in a recently done 370 to see whether the dampening and stiffness would suit my needs, to help me make my decision. He also advised that the coilovers come with a 2 year warranty, which to me shows that they believe in their product.

At $1.3k installed and aligned, my choice just got a whole lot harder I think!

Posted · Report post

Being offered for a ride in a 370z with the STD coilovers. Hope it will help you make up your mind.

I'm also stuck between whether to get the BC BR coilovers or the STD. Since they are both the entry level for street use coilovers.

On the US 370z forum, the BC coilovers seem to have good feedback from the members.

The only thing thats holding me back is the warranty and replacement parts for the BC coilovers. Having to order the parts overseas or from the eastern states if something goes wrong.

Where the STD coilover distributor is in Perth.

Posted · Report post

From what i remember the BC coilovers are 1.3k shipped to Perth. Then probably another $300 to get it installed and wheel alignment.

Posted · Report post

Being offered for a ride in a 370z with the STD coilovers. Hope it will help you make up your mind.

I will report back on the ride after easter :)

The 2 year warranty is great, the only thing that makes me a little weary is the fact that the distributor stated that the 'STD' branding was adopted for the american market, and was previously 'Trust Greddy'. I don't quite understand why you would want to rename a very well-known brand, which makes me slightly doubt their credibility.

On another note, has anyone here heard of KSport coilovers? They seem to be thrown in the same price/performance bracket as the BCs.

Posted · Report post

I've got the KSport - no complaints

All the KSport, DS and others all seem to be very similar

Posted · Report post

...the only thing that makes me a little weary is the fact that the distributor stated that the 'STD' branding was adopted for the american market, and was previously 'Trust Greddy'. I don't quite understand why you would want to rename a very well-known brand, which makes me slightly doubt their credibility.

They've probably twisted the truth around a little bit. The fact is Trust/Greddy don't manufacture their own suspension and instead contract 3rd party OEMs to make them. BC actually manufactured Trust/Greddy coilovers for the 350Z. I had the Trust/GReddy version in my Zed and they were identical (except in colour) to a set of BCs I installed into a friend's car. BC coilovers are solid and well sprung for the street. The only major compromise is that they use the same damper rate for front and rear suspension when ideally you should match your damper rate with spring rate. But it's a non-issue for street-driven cars as you're not trying to eke every last bit of grip out of your car on a track.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the info Kam. I guess I'll wait until I feel them in action in the coming weeks, as well as see the quality in person.

As stated earlier, i do like the piece of mind knowing that the distributor will warrant their product for 2 years. Only hot a little suspicious when the rebranding issue came to light.

Posted · Report post

Anyone know what spring rates to get for coilovers? Used for daily driving?

370z stock spring rates are:

Front - 7.5k

Rear - 8k

Posted · Report post

1.3k nnnnaaaaaa?

Posted · Report post

@RedZ, where did you find that $1,300 price? Old thread I know but curious.