Welcome to Zclub - Australia's Largest Nissan 370Z and Nissan 350Z Forum
Register for FREE to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Volant Air Intake

6 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hey Guys,

Searching through ebay/amazon for a nice looking heat shielded intake system and came across this 

12635-1.jpg

volant_12635.jpg

Anyone with any knowledge they can shed on it? Ease of fitment / build quality

I realise most intake are very similar in terms of performance gains (essentially none), my goals are extra engine growl and subtelty

I figure if the 5-0 open the hood it would be subtle enough to avoid close attention.

Thanks!

Posted · Report post

well it's got an airbox around the pod so the cops would be disappointed haha!

you should get slightly sharper throttle response as you'll eliminate the accordion pipe.

Im not a fan of black coloured intake materials as it absorbs heat but if memory serves me right, Volant intakes are made of plastic which resists heat better than metal. i might be wrong tho

Posted · Report post

Just trying to rectify my ignorance as was thinking about getting some cold air intakes - do the coppers not like anything without an airbox? Would they ticket you for some "naked" K&N filters etc.? As for the original posters question they def look better than the stock air boxes but I wonder if it would be worth it. It'd be interesting to see if it did make much difference to the engine note or any performance difference either good or bad. Definitely subbing this thread for further info...

Posted · Report post

exposed pods are considered creators of noise pollution or something along those lines. there's mixed stories about what people have done to avoid a ticket but they could all be BS. eg. pantyhose, pre-filters made by filter companies, heatshields which only have 2 sides, etc.

In theory, my Stillen G3 intakes should be illegal but the pods are invisible due to installation location. Police wont dismantle a car on the spot to examine it, i doubt.

Part of the reason for me going the CAI route was easier wrapping of the intake tract. The stock accordion pipe is not only detrimental to smooth airflow but also too fat in the tight engine bay to allow for a good insulation job.

Contrary to what most people will tell you, although plastic is a better insulator than metal it will still heat up and radiate that heat into your intake. Have a look at what AEM did with their 86/BRZ intake. they enclosed the MAF/IAT sensor inside a custom made plastic airbox thus shielding the sensor from potential power and ignition timing robbing heatsoak. That's something all Z owners should do - insulate or isolate the MAF/IAT sensor because to say it heatsoaks like a bitch is an understatement.

If you're mainly after noise, a short ram intake might be a bit lighter on your wallet :) equally easy to insulate but keep in mind you'll be sucking up a lot of engine bay heat when you're not moving faster than 20-30kmh. At cruising speeds and with a good cool air duct setup, you should get identical air temps to a cold air setup.

The difference between my Stillen and the stock intake in air temps was just 1*c at cruising speed. Hardly any difference but enough to justify its title as a COLD air intake. The rest is driveability and top end freedom. I dont care about bling

Posted · Report post

This the first time that I've ever seen one of these and although IMO they only look slightly better than the stock airbox, mainly because of the flat surfaces, but I fear this could pose heat problems as I'm sure the fins on the standard airbox help with heat dispersion. Would be interested to know if it has any real world benefits.

Posted · Report post

the 'fins' on the stock box are mainly for structural reasons to make the box more rigid without making the walls thicker. if anything, the 'fins' would catch more heat - think of it like a reverse heatsink effect where heat will more likely transfer to cooler object (ie. plastic airbox)