Welcome to Zclub - Australia's Largest Nissan 370Z and Nissan 350Z Forum
Register for FREE to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cracked belts and replacing

7 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Found out during my service and fuel injection clean on Friday that my belts need to be done (fan and compressor) due to cracking. Unley Nissan have marked this as high priority, so I've gone ahead and booked her in to be done. I'm all for DIY and have changed my breaks, removed my rotors for machining etc (very basic mechanics), how easy is it to remove and replace the belts? I'm thinking its too much effort for a DIY.

PS - my 2004 Z33 has is now 10 years old but has only done 38,700km so the old 10 years or how ever many km guide is about right.

Posted · Report post

if you can do your brake, you definitly will have no problem doing your belts

under the under car enginr protection

lose up the tension pulley(i think i did two of it)

then pull the old belt out, new belt in

1 for Power Steering, Alternator, and Water Pump

1 for for the A/C compressor

better change both at the same time as well, as you alway in there.

Posted · Report post

Same as above, only hard part is it's done under the car.

Also when you say fuel injector clean you mean they just pour something into the tank or hook something up to the rail right? Up sells are no more helpful then a full tank of premium imo.

Posted · Report post

Yeah, I'd need to use jack stands which I'm not a big fan of, but could save me $150 in labour which I've been quoted.

As for the fuel injector clean, I called to ask them same question ILL370 (if they just add fuel cleaner to the tank), apparently no, they completely remove the whole tank and clean the system. I wasn't sure of the exact details but was hesitant about what they were actually doing.

Posted · Report post

Yeah, I'd need to use jack stands which I'm not a big fan of, but could save me $150 in labour which I've been quoted.

As for the fuel injector clean, I called to ask them same question ILL370 (if they just add fuel cleaner to the tank), apparently no, they completely remove the whole tank and clean the system. I wasn't sure of the exact details but was hesitant about what they were actually doing.

Cleaning the tank could be handy. Most up sells are a money maker (my dealer included), some are ok like upper cylinder head treatments as they reduce carbon on valves from building up and so forth but always found the injector one to be unnecessary, if there's dirt at the injector head it's not going anywhere, the damage is done. Filters block nasties way before it gets to the rail and I'm sure all fuels have cleaners now not just 95 98. Choose them wisely, trying to save you guys an arm or leg :)

Posted · Report post

Cleaning the tank could be handy. Most up sells are a money maker (my dealer included), some are ok like upper cylinder head treatments as they reduce carbon on valves from building up and so forth but always found the injector one to be unnecessary, if there's dirt at the injector head it's not going anywhere, the damage is done. Filters block nasties way before it gets to the rail and I'm sure all fuels have cleaners now not just 95 98. Choose them wisely, trying to save you guys an arm or leg :)

Yeah, already gone ahead and had the injector clean done, maybe I had the wool pulled over my eyes.

So for the sake of $150 and the effort, may need to decide whether to do the belts myself. Plus I need to source them, could all be too much effort to be honest.

Appreciate the feedback ILL370

Posted · Report post

don't really need to put on the stand, I drove my onto the ramps.

it would be easier i guess

I just extand the ramps with some wood boards so the car can go on it without scratch