Welcome to Zclub - Australia's Largest Nissan 370Z and Nissan 350Z Forum
Register for FREE to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

FORMULA 1 FANATICS - 2014 discussion and predictions

21 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

With the 2013 season being a bit of a one-sided affair, I thought I’d be good to start a thread where us F1 fanatics can discuss opinions and predictions for the 2014 season.

As 2014 will hold numerous changes including the introduction of a 1.6 turbocharged engine, heavier cars, stricter aero regulations and the increasing influence of KERS systems, what effect does everyone think this will have on championship proceedings? :shifty:

Further, what does everyone think about the new team line-up? Personally, I celebrated and rejoiced when McLaren announced they will be dropping Sergio Perez in favour of the rookie Kevin Magnussen. I did not feel Perez added much apart from a bunch of wheel bumping and dirty tactics. 2014 will also see Kimi Raikkonen make a return to the Scuderia, smart move??…or will he play second violin to Alonso??

Discuss…

Posted · Report post

My predictions for 2104 are...

1. Vettel will still be the person to beat. He's competitive no matter how bad/good the car is.

2. Though, I'm hoping Alonso will make a fight of it this time.

3. But he'll have Kimmi 'stealling' valuable points from him ... which'll make it that much more difficult for Alonso.

4. Kimmi won't play 2nd fiddle to anyone.

5. Also I'm hoping that Grojean, Hamilton/Rosberg and Button will be competitive and be fighting for the wins.

Besides that I'm not looking forward to the new engines. Looks like besides tyres saving (which we already have), next season will be big on fuel saving.

Posted · Report post

I tend to agree with the first point about Vettel being competitive in anything, and thus is the driver to beat next year. Also, the fact that Adrian Newey is an absolute genius when it comes to building a race car, puts the advantage right with Vettel to take home a fifth championship. However, I recently read an article stating that Vettel will only be considered 'one of the greats' if he leaves the Red Bull nest, and wins with another team...which a very valid point.

In my opinion, Alonso is the best driver on the Grid over full race distance. Let just hope Ferrari give him a competitive drive next year.

Further, in terms of the lotus driver line-up, I think that Hulkenburg would also have been a better 2014 prospect than Maldonado, his form of late in the Sauber has been great.

Posted · Report post

drivers with money such as maldonado and perez give me this shits, especially when they get seats in somewhat decent cars over drivers who have much greater skill but not the big money backing them. I am so glad mclaren gave magnussen the seat for next season. next season will be great i think. I am hoping that it will be a bit more of an even field, rather than a red bull vs everyone(in particular vettels RB, anyone that thinks him and webber had the same technology in their cars is naive) 

Posted · Report post

It's F1 - it's terribly important how good your car is - look at how good Alonso is yet he couldn't get the job done

If the new RedBull car is not on the money it will be open for all the top runners

Ferrari will have a short fuse with Kimi

- they are still emotionally hurting about paying is contract out to get rid of him

- remember they sacked Prost (because he said the car was not good enough)

Posted · Report post

I for one hope RB offer up a worse car next year, for the sake of us viewers!

I also think that the turbocharging aspect will change the whole game. Non-linear power delivery associated with small capacity engines (1.6) and large turbos will definitely separate the quality drivers from the 'average'. Hopefully that will even things up a little

Posted · Report post

If the two winter testing sessions are anything to go by, this year is going to be a much closer spectacle with Red Bull struggling!

Wouldn't count them out just yet though, they have a long season to figure out their packaging issues.

Posted · Report post

This year is going to be about reliability with the new engines.

RBR Aero Package will be second to none of course but with the pre-season testing the Renault engine isn't up to scratch with many failures across all the teams.

Hope Vettel ends up mid top 10 so he can actually prove to his critics that he can race wheel to wheel.

Mercedes powered cars will all be strong at least for the first half of the season as their powerplant looks solid - Hamilton & Rosberg to be fighting for top positions and I hope Button is up there too.

I am a Hulk fan so I hope he gets some strong finishes under his belt.

As much of a Kimi fan I am I believe Hulk would have been a better option for Ferrari.

As far as teams go Ferrari is the team i support but i dont think Alonso and Kimi make a good pair as they will both be fighting for the #1 position - reminds me of the Senna/Prost or Alonso/Hamilton days.

Anyway I am just hanging for the start of the season!

Posted · Report post

Couple things I'm not happy about:

- drivers getting to choose their own numbers - this is F1 not Nascar or MotoGP.

- double points in final race - i believe it will promote MORE team orders

Posted · Report post

Double points in the last race is more likely to promote fierce competition, the opportunity for team orders will be limited

Posted · Report post

Double points in the last race is more likely to promote fierce competition, the opportunity for team orders will be limited

how so?

If a team already has a pre-determined #1 and #2 then the team orders will be set earlier in the season IMO.

will be interesting in teams like Mercedes and Ferrari where drivers are pretty much on par

Posted · Report post

It's not hard to imagine, with double points on offer it creates the opportunity for more drivers in the top 10 create a surprise outcome, the last race could be rather frenzied with some desperate moves and associated consequences

We're not seeing very many situations where the cars from the same team are together (where team orders could be used to benefit)

Posted · Report post

i just hope the 2014 season is like the 2010 or 2012 season where there were 5 or so drivers competing for the WDC.

Posted · Report post

^^ definitely!

If winter testing is anything to go by, we're in for a much closer and more entertaining season. I also tend to agree with comments made in regards to Kimi being back in a Ferrari, it'll be interesting to watch.

What are your thoughts on young Magnussen and his McLaren, certainly impressed me setting quick and consistent times throughout all three tests.

Posted · Report post

Magnussen has been impressive in the testing - reminds me of when hamilton first came to mclaren and was winning races in his first year.

Definately has potential

Posted · Report post

I guess by the way this thread has slipped down the ladder Mercedes are a no brainer.  A shame really .  The one bright spot me for is Danny Ricciardo and the situation Vettel finds himself in.   Looks like Ferrari are in for a shake up , they are after Adrian Newey.  

Posted · Report post

I refuse to watch f1 anymore as it is like listening to lawn mower go around the track rather than race cars.

Posted · Report post

It looks as though Seb is coming back to form making his way up to a respectable 4th place on the weekend.

Hopefully Mercedes' prototype exhaust, being tested in Barcelona this week, will remedy the boring sound we are currently stuck with.

Posted · Report post

When listening to the SKY Guys ,  the cars sound like rotaries as they go down straights where the commentary mikes are.  ;)  The V8's sounded way better. 

Posted · Report post

Good: It looked like Kimi was getting to grips with the eBrakes at last Bad: The condition of the tyres on the Ferrari's was terrible at the end of the race (Merc tyres looked great)

Posted · Report post

Hopefully Mercedes' prototype exhaust, being tested in Barcelona this week, will remedy the boring sound we are currently stuck with.

Maybe the teams can install Sound Symposers...

:P