Welcome to Zclub - Australia's Largest Nissan 370Z and Nissan 350Z Forum
Register for FREE to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

2007 track wheel and tyre q

40 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I have been searching the net for a bit now, just want to know if they offset on all my wheels will be +30, i have read in a few places the back are +33. I only want to know because im thinking of using the OEM rims to get 245s all round as my road tyres, and then saving up and getting either another set of 18 oems and putting 245 semi slicks or getting some decent rims so i can rotate.

I really just want to know if there is a way i can check myself, as if they are +30 all round then i shouldnt have problems rotating them, where as if they have different offsets could i run into problems? 

Still havent quite got my head around all this tyre and wheel hoo haa yet.

Posted · Report post

Your rear wheels are wider than the front wheels 

(Possibly not a good idea to rotate them)

The fronts are 8" wide with a 30mm offset

8" is the smallest rim width you can put a 245mm tyre on (perhaps not ideal)

The rears are 8.5" wide with a 33mm offset

This is a good rim with for a 245mm tyre

If you could buy another pair of rear OEM wheels - you could then implement your plan

(There is a set for sale now - see the for sale section - I will be selling mine in Q1 2014)

Rota make a nice looking wheel that is idea for the Z: G-Force 18"*9 with a 27mm offset

These cost $247 each so they are very affordable/reasonable

Get 4 of these and you can execute your plan

There are other colours available

rota-gforce-gunmetallic-18-45.jpg

As your car is an 07 there is a chance you may have 18"x9 fronts and 19"x10 rears (both are 30mm offset)

Posted · Report post

Your rear wheels are wider than the front wheels 

(Possibly not a good idea to rotate them)

The fronts are 8" wide with a 30mm offset

8" is the smallest rim width you can put a 245mm tyre on (perhaps not ideal)

The rears are 8.5" wide with a 33mm offset

This is a good rim with for a 245mm tyre

If you could buy another pair of rear OEM wheels - you could then implement your plan

(There is a set for sale now - see the for sale section - I will be selling mine in Q1 2014)

Rota make a nice looking wheel that is idea for the Z: G-Force 18"*9 with a 27mm offset

These cost $247 each so they are very affordable/reasonable

Get 4 of these and you can execute your plan

There are other colours available

rota-gforce-gunmetallic-18-45.jpg

As your car is an 07 there is a chance you may have 18"x9 fronts and 19"x10 rears (both are 30mm offset)

thanks a world mate! everything i wanted to know, i think in the long run its going to be cheaper to get the rotas and rotate the tyres, as i currently need new tyres because my 2 fronts have worn on the inside and the backs are just getting thin on the whole, in saying that i was also thinking of getting another set down the track for trackdays and stuff to put semi slicks on. but if the oem wheels are different widths then im probably better off trying to sell them.....but how much can realistically expect to get from the oem rims, because it would seem like a waste of cash.. the rotas are cheap, and IMO dont deserve some of the hate people give them.

Posted · Report post

Sounds like you need a good wheel alignment job - your toe-in needs to be looked at

Don't rotate tyres when you have a problem like that - you will just kill all 4 tyres

There is a huge variation in the price expectation for the OEM rims, $800 to $1500

The OEM rims weight a tone - they are pretty strong

The Rota's are not has strong as the OEM

I would not get 19" Rota's and run a 35 profile - pot holes could damage a rim

What you could do is get the Rota's for daily driving and wheel rotation

Buy some 235/40/18 semi slicks for the OEM front wheels

Buy some 245/40/18 semi slicks for the OEM rear wheels

That's your track day setup

Posted · Report post

Sounds like you need a good wheel alignment job - your toe-in needs to be looked at

Don't rotate tyres when you have a problem like that - you will just kill all 4 tyres

There is a huge variation in the price expectation for the OEM rims, $800 to $1500

The OEM rims weight a tone - they are pretty strong

The Rota's are not has strong as the OEM

I would not get 19" Rota's and run a 35 profile - pot holes could damage a rim

What you could do is get the Rota's for daily driving and wheel rotation

Buy some 235/40/18 semi slicks for the OEM front wheels

Buy some 245/40/18 semi slicks for the OEM rear wheels

That's your track day setup

you are an absolute well of info mate! voted up again!!! :)

what about 18 rotas with a 45 profile? that would give me a little bit more rubber.

Also like your suggestion for the oem wheels, so the 235s would be right on the more narrow front rims?

Posted · Report post

Oh yeah - the 18" Rota's for daily driving, you could go 245/45 all round (square)

If you are going to rotate tyres you need to do that

The 235/40 semi slicks for the front, that's as wide as you can go on the stock OEM 8" front rims

While it's only a little wider than stock, semi slicks have a lot more rubber on the road which equals more grip

So these will be fine for doing track days - they will give better performance than normal road driving

If you do a wet skid pan day just use your daily tyres - they won't be harmed or worn by that

Posted · Report post

Oh yeah - the 18" Rota's for daily driving, you could go 245/45 all round (square)

If you are going to rotate tyres you need to do that

The 235/40 semi slicks for the front, that's as wide as you can go on the stock OEM 8" front rims

While it's only a little wider than stock, semi slicks have a lot more rubber on the road which equals more grip

So these will be fine for doing track days - they will give better performance than normal road driving

If you do a wet skid pan day just use your daily tyres - they won't be harmed or worn by that

Going to order the rotas this arvo, any tyres brands i should be avoiding for road tyres? and are the nittos alright for track work?

Posted · Report post

My Rota's are with StarTrackExpress - they are stuck in a depot for some reason

With the road tyres stick with the major tyre companies

Goodyear/Michelin/BridgeStone/Dunlop/Continental/etc

Avoid all the "cheap" tyres

I have not looked at what's available in the Z size

I've used Michelin PS3 and Goodyear F1 A2 on the Skoda - both awesome

I've got a set of Continental MC5's on the Mazda3 and they are ok

I had a set of Maxis on the Mazda3 for a year or so, they were ok

I have a pair of Nitto NT01 semi slicks for the track - they are hard to get at present

Nitto are the same as Toyo - known brand - cheap and chearful for the occasional track day dad

Not as much grip as major brand R rated tyres but much cheaper for sure

(The NT05 is more easy to get but not likely to perform as well as NT01)

When buying these Toyo/Nitto semi slicks check the manufacture date

Every now and again they are on sale and the reason is they are 5~6 years old (illegal for the road)

Posted · Report post

My Rota's are with StarTrackExpress - they are stuck in a depot for some reason

With the road tyres stick with the major tyre companies

Goodyear/Michelin/BridgeStone/Dunlop/Continental/etc

Avoid all the "cheap" tyres

I have not looked at what's available in the Z size

I've used Michelin PS3 and Goodyear F1 A2 on the Skoda - both awesome

I've got a set of Continental MC5's on the Mazda3 and they are ok

I had a set of Maxis on the Mazda3 for a year or so, they were ok

I have a pair of Nitto NT01 semi slicks for the track - they are hard to get at present

Nitto are the same as Toyo - known brand - cheap and chearful for the occasional track day dad

Not as much grip as major brand R rated tyres but much cheaper for sure

(The NT05 is more easy to get but not likely to perform as well as NT01)

When buying these Toyo/Nitto semi slicks check the manufacture date

Every now and again they are on sale and the reason is they are 5~6 years old (illegal for the road)

i have found a decent price on dunlops, just waiting back from the tyre shop(found through ebay) for a tyre build date, as i have found some 245/45/18s for 185 a pop which is a steal. When i was down at my mechanic before picking some stuff up for my gfs car i was talking to him, and he looked up some prices for me said get the dunlops if i can, however he called his tyre bloke who was saying that "hero milanza hz1" are not a bad tyre at all (can get them 165 fitted, this sounded way to good to be true, especially with all the talk about buying cheap rubber, turns out hero is actually federals in disguise, and are identical to federal 595s which has really got me thinking :/ i have been browsing the net for the last 20 mins or so and from what i can gather they are actually a pretty great tyre(putting into account i WONT be tracking them) what you rkn?

Posted · Report post

Hmmm, what are your expectations? 

When you get to have fun, how hard to you want to drive?

(My view would be that all sub $200 tyres are unlikely to live up the handling capability of the 350Z)

The Federal's had a reputation for good dry grip, poor wet grip and soft side walls making turn in slow to respond and taking the fun out of the drive

(Have you ever noticed that after a longish dry period, there are a lot of car crashes when the rain does come)

I do believe there is a new version that may be somewhat better

Also be really careful because Federal marked a number of different tyres as 595 (my commentary is with regard to the "595 RSR")

Posted · Report post

Hmmm, what are your expectations? 

When you get to have fun, how hard to you want to drive?

(My view would be that all sub $200 tyres are unlikely to live up the handling capability of the 350Z)

The Federal's had a reputation for good dry grip, poor wet grip and soft side walls making turn in slow to respond and taking the fun out of the drive

(Have you ever noticed that after a longish dry period, there are a lot of car crashes when the rain does come)

I do believe there is a new version that may be somewhat better

Also be really careful because Federal marked a number of different tyres as 595 (my commentary is with regard to the "595 RSR")

I just want something that isnt going to let me down, i only really give it some when i go for mountain runs and stuff(still not pushing it too hard), drive it easy around the city, cops are a holes around my area. While the Heros do sound really really cheap my mechanic did  say they are worth trying just at the price he can get them at, and if they are shit then we can just  onsell them to someone. I am going to track down the NT01s for track days and when i really wanna push it. The rain is kind of a non issue, i will usually drive my ranger if it is raining heavy as the roads up here in qld seem to just fall apart as soon as a bit of water hits them and it becomes pothole central.

if this bloke with the dunlops gets back to me within the next day or 2 i will probably just get them at 185 and pay 25 to get them fitted up, the tyre bloke up here wanted 315 a tyre :/

Posted · Report post

Yep - as long as you know what you want and have a plan to evaluate them somewhere where you won't get caught out

Dunlop do make some good tyres - I just wish they didn't call all of their tyres "SP Sport" cos it's hard to follow

Posted · Report post

had to get gunmetal for the rotas as they only had 3 matt black left, all good, hopefully i have them by friday. ordering a set of the hero milanzas, going to get a set of nt01s once i get some more money comin in.

Posted · Report post

Oh - you need after market nuts and hub adapters!

Hub adapters are 72mm to 66.1mm

Rota can provide them

Posted · Report post

Oh - you need after market nuts and hub adapters!

Hub adapters are 72mm to 66.1mm

Rota can provide them

I have a set of genuine rays lugs coming in, howcome i gotta get spacers? they should still fit shouldnt they

Posted · Report post

Not spacers, hub centric rings, the hole in the wheel is bigger than the Nissan hub, need an adaptor to ensure wheel is centralized around the hub

Posted · Report post

oh shiit, now im with ya, what are the chances i can just get the bloke putting on my tyres to order them in? or will rota send them for free? i might have to wait a few days for rota though, cause when i was speaking with the dude yesterday he was rushing to get my wheels posted cause they where about to leave to world time attack, all good. Im glad you cleared that up for me :P 

Posted · Report post

also, will the rays lug nuts be suitable?(i havent got them in the mail yet, dont know the exact specs as i bought them off another zclub member

Posted · Report post

Tyre/wheel shops should have them also - plenty available on ebay also

Rays nuts should be fine

RotaGForce.jpg

Posted · Report post

oh man they look soo nice!!! cant wait to get mine now, what rubber did you end up running on them? 

Posted · Report post

another somewhat silly questions, i want aluminium alloy rings not polcarbonate correct?

Posted · Report post

That used to be my opinion, but once I used them I quickly changed my mind!

I got to a track day and could not get the alloy rings off - I was spewing

(I assume it was a heat/material issue, alloy rings and steel hub)

No problems with the polycarbonate rings

The ring is only there to locate the wheel nicely before doing up the nuts

No real need for expensive or exotic rings

But each to his own....

Posted · Report post

I might have to see if i can get some from ROTA, i cant find any that are 72 - 66.1 closest i can get is 72.6 - 66.1 i have to go to my mechanics workshop tomorow morning anyway so i might see if he wants me to order them in or if he can. Preferable poly ones, dont want to get them jammed before a track day

Posted · Report post

GVBZ87I.jpg

f#!king COURIERS!!!!!!!!!! spoke to the dude from ROTA though and he is going to send a new one out and go through the couriers insurance...

Posted · Report post

I had courier problems also - Star Track lost the wheels in the depot for a day

The Star Track help desk were useless - many errors