Welcome to Zclub - Australia's Largest Nissan 370Z and Nissan 350Z Forum
Register for FREE to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Handbrake adjustment?

11 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Guys, I'm a little lost and need some guidance

The workshop manual I have is for the 2003/2004 350Z while my car is a 2006 model

The manual says remove the ash tray to reveal the hand brake adjusting nut

There is no ash tray and nothing that's easy to remove (would end up removing the entire central fascia)

Do I need to crawl under the car to find the handbrake adjustment nut???

Posted · Report post

There's an ash tray on the passengers side of the 06' models? I don't think it would reveal a handbrake adjusting nut though...

Posted · Report post

No - the hand brake is on the passengers side - the compartment is on the drivers side

I've worked it out now

The compartment with a sliding lid on the drivers side (to the right of the handbrake) has a thin plastic strip with a felt surface

You pull that off and the adjustment nut is below it

I was hung up looking for an ash tray that does not exist and was not able to remove anything in that area

Posted · Report post

Another thing to look at if you haven't already done so is the adjustment at the rear hubs. When I got my car the handbrake was terrible. Had to pull it right up, even then there was not very much hold. I started at the hubs adjusting the handbrake shoes to the correct position, then from there only a fairly small adjustment was needed at the handbrake lever to get a solid hold after only a few clicks.

Posted · Report post

Yes, very true

I've just had the rotors machined and I replaced the pads

I set the rear parking adjuster as per the workshop manual - it's a bit fiddly but does the job

Posted · Report post

Yes, very true

I've just had the rotors machined and I replaced the pads

I set the rear parking adjuster as per the workshop manual - it's a bit fiddly but does the job

All good, just thought I'd mention it in case it had been overlooked, so many people just adjust the crap out of the cable itself. But looks like you're all over it  :)

Posted · Report post

yeh the in-cabin adjustment should be done after the adjustment on the rear drum brake system.

i was being lazy and i just did the cabin one so the lever is within spec but the car still rolls on a slight slope so i'll pop the wheels off this weekend and adjust the drum system.

Posted · Report post

The handbrake design on our cars has got to be one of the worst design features ever. I've never heard anyone say a good word about it.

Posted · Report post

I think it's ok - just need to understand it

Like anything, you need to work with it rather than against it

Posted · Report post

WRXs and Evos have the same type of handbrake.

There's a couple of cars which use the same shoes as our cars. Folks seem quite happy with the Project Mu drift shoes but they're bloody expensive. If all you want is for the

handbrake to hold the car on a hill, just do the adjustment on the drums first.

If you want to lock up the rears reliably while in motion then you'll need to upgrade the shoes. I still cant get mine to lock up after adjustment on the stock shoes.

Not madly keen on buying heaps of third party replacement shoes in the name of research but just a heads up for those who are keen. I have the equivalent part numbers/cross references somewhere. Thing is, i think the other cars also use the same weak in-hat handbrake mechanism.

Posted · Report post

I carry a lump of wood to put under the rear tires LOL