Welcome to Zclub - Australia's Largest Nissan 370Z and Nissan 350Z Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Reverse Camera Lens Crack

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

jooneth

jooneth

1st GEN (S30)

• Members
  • Pip
    Neutral
  • 22 posts
  • Local time: 07:37 AM
  • LocationSydney
  • Car:MY13 370Z Roadster 6MT - Midnight Blue
  • Time Online: 7h 59m 41s

Hi Guys,

Just received my new MY13 Roadster a month ago and already there are a few problems. A couple of weeks ago when I reversed out of my garage, I realised something foggy about the camera view. I had thought it was just a mark or dirt on the camera so I ignored it. Then after a few days later I got a little annoyed so I walked out and tried to clean the lens but found it to be a crack. There is absolutely no damage around the camera, only the glass lense itself is damaged. Everything works normal - only problem is the crack is covering some part of the rear view.

I mean how could this have happened? If somebody vandalised it, why would they only damage the lense? I just find it to be a little unusal spot to vandalise. Or could it have been cracked by a stone or some sort? This is quite hard to believe as what would br the probability of a small stone hitting the lense bullseye and only damage the lense?

Anyway, I took it to the dealer and he says it will cost $920 to replace the whole system. Absurd!!

Does anyone here with the stock oem reverse camera have had similar experience? I still think the camera that was installed on my car had some defects as such a force that cracked the lense should've had enough force to also damage the internal part of the camera itself but it didn't and hence the lense is defective.

Any comments, suggestions please?

Black Pearl

Black Pearl

6th GEN (Z34)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Excellent
  • 2,143 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Car:Ducati 1199 Panigale
  • Time Online: 14d 22h 5m 36s
Wtf!? Why wouldnt this be a warranty thing? If theres no damage to it anywhere else and no signs of vandalism it should be covered. My friend car got badged (not nissan) and they did it under warranty. I really doubt a rock could get to where the camera is and if it did there would probably be an impact mark.

Mr. Vestito

Mr. Vestito

Dat money pit...

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPip
    zenZational
  • 804 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • Car:Ninja 300, MY11 370Z 6MT, Monterrey Blue.
  • Time Online: 75d 5h 7m 35s

Yeah i agree, this should be replaced under warranty. Its almost impossible for a stone to hit it and definitely not vandalism. I highly doubt the whole system would need replacing but i don't know how the whole system works.

Tassiez

Tassiez

3rd GEN (Z31)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
    Neutral
  • 126 posts
  • LocationLaunceston
  • Car:2003 350z Touring
  • Time Online: 10d 21h 50m 45s
Under current Australian law it is the dealers responsibility to prove that it is not a warranty item, not yours to prove that it is.<br />Go back to them and ask why it is not covered under warranty and then ask how are they going to prove it.

yelarz

yelarz

5th GEN (Z33)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Excellent
  • 789 posts
  • LocationTWEED VALLEY
  • Car:370z
  • Time Online: 16d 3h 57m 59s
Try another dealer?

jooneth

jooneth

1st GEN (S30)

• Members
  • Pip
    Neutral
  • 22 posts
  • LocationSydney
Thanks for your replies guys.
The service manager looked at the camera lense and pointed out that there definitely is a sign of vandalism on the lense itself and hence is not covered under warranty. But I wouldn't think anyone would actually apply enough force to crack it without damaging around the camera area. I really want this to be somehow covered under warranty. Any recommendation on nissan dealer in Syd who would look into this seriously?

danhfvcsd

danhfvcsd

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Excellent
  • 2,415 posts
  • LocationGold Coast
  • Car:350Z 35th Anniversary
  • Time Online: 17d 7m 32s

show us some pics mate :)

jooneth

jooneth

1st GEN (S30)

• Members
  • Pip
    Neutral
  • 22 posts
  • LocationSydney
Here you go.

Attached Files

danhfvcsd

danhfvcsd

Premium Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Excellent
  • 2,415 posts
  • LocationGold Coast
  • Car:350Z 35th Anniversary
  • Time Online: 17d 7m 32s

vandalism my arse!!!  That dealer is just trying to get out of it... tell him he's a wanker and to put it in under warranty....

if it were vandalism, the whole bloody thing would be gone don't u think??

jooneth

jooneth

1st GEN (S30)

• Members
  • Pip
    Neutral
  • 22 posts
  • LocationSydney
Thats why i have started this discussion. I want to see how many people see this as vandalism or something else. If it wasnt vandalised, what could have possibly caused this crack??

yelarz

yelarz

5th GEN (Z33)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Excellent
  • 789 posts
  • LocationTWEED VALLEY
  • Car:370z
  • Time Online: 16d 3h 57m 59s
I would go to a different dealer and try a new approach. He will not see it any other way now anyway.

juld0zer

juld0zer

5th GEN (Z33)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Excellent
  • 614 posts
  • Location2153
  • Car:2011 Monterey Blue 370Z Coupe (6MT)
  • Time Online: 6d 15h 50m 12s

It's a plastic lens afaik... i highly doubt it's glass especially given its proximity and the environment it is likely to be exposed to (eg. hand washing).

As a last resort, you could find one off a wreck. or pop out the broken lens and replace it with one off a cheap ebay camera?

A camera that provides better vision in dim light is on my list to look into. at some point i'll be disassembling the camera module.

rudi

rudi

1st GEN (S30)

• Members*
  • Pip
    Neutral
  • 6 posts
  • LocationWodonga
  • Car:370Z

You could try fixing it by injecting some resin like Novis windscreen repair

0 user(s) are reading this topic