Welcome to Zclub - Australia's Largest Nissan 370Z and Nissan 350Z Forum
Register for FREE to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

No sound from speakers....help please

16 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hey guys I have a problem with my car sound.

I'll get straight to the point.

Have a 2005 350z with stock bose system. The speaker output connector behind the radio needs to be replaced (i broke it thats why. Kicking myself.  :wacko:

I bought new connector from ebay and connected it up with the wires going to the speakers. I basically matched the colours best I could. 

Here are the connections. Pictures attached.

(New connector cables behind radio - speaker cables into the car)

purple wire - Pink wire
purple black - pink/red - 
green - green 
green/black - green/black 
blue - blue/grey
grey/black - grey
I connected this all up but I dont hear anything from the speakers anymore.   :geek:

is there a amp fuse in the trunk that I might have blown by shorting the speaker wires?

im pretty sure i wired them up correctly.

Any ideas on how to fix it guys?

Thanks

Posted · Report post

back of radio 1.jpg

back of radio 2.jpg

help for the harness.jpg

speakers cables coming from the car 1.jpg

speakers cables coming from the car 2.jpg

post-7440-0-02871000-1365835234_thumb.jp

post-7440-0-62475400-1365835250_thumb.jp

post-7440-0-10072200-1365835271_thumb.jp

post-7440-0-36137300-1365835290_thumb.jp

post-7440-0-69212800-1365835306_thumb.jp

Posted · Report post

Update: And I checked the 15A audio fuse on the passenger side panel, and its not blown.

Would there be another fuse in the amp which is in the trunk?

Posted · Report post

Moved to the relevant section and cleaned up duplicate thread.

Posted · Report post

its not uncommon for the headunit to have fuses inside the headunit which are easily damaged.

im kinda finding hard to understand what you have done and why so here is a few things that might help you.

1.do you have power to the amp ? a common issue is not wiring the remote wire to the amplifier which turns the amp on when the car is on (not just the 12V supply).

2. To test if you have the right wires for the speakers use a 9V battery and put the speaker wires over the positive and negative of the battery. if you have the correct pair, they will click. this will tell you which speaker it is , and if there is a break in your wiring. 

3. use a multimeter to see if you have any outputs from the amplifier. most amplifiers also have a fuse on them to replace.

Posted · Report post

its not uncommon for the headunit to have fuses inside the headunit which are easily damaged.

im kinda finding hard to understand what you have done and why so here is a few things that might help you.

1.do you have power to the amp ? a common issue is not wiring the remote wire to the amplifier which turns the amp on when the car is on (not just the 12V supply).

2. To test if you have the right wires for the speakers use a 9V battery and put the speaker wires over the positive and negative of the battery. if you have the correct pair, they will click. this will tell you which speaker it is , and if there is a break in your wiring. 

3. use a multimeter to see if you have any outputs from the amplifier. most amplifiers also have a fuse on them to replace.

Hi mate, thanks for the help.

Behind the stock radio, there is output wires for the speakers. The connector for this broke so I replaced it with one from ebay. (As seen in the pictures).

Now Im just trying to connect that NEW connector behind the radio, and connect it up to the wires going into the car.

I connected the wires up (as shown in the pictures). Tried to match the colours as much as possible. 

But now there is no sound from the speakers. The radio does turn on though and i can navigate it.

1.  power to amp? I am not sure. How can i check if there is power to amp?  Can you please check the pictures i provided. I tried to match it as best as possible.

2. ok i will try this today.

3. i dont know where the bose amplifier is. I'm guessing the fuse on it blew. Where is the bose amp located?

Thanks

Posted · Report post

You really need the vehicles wiring diagram so you can know for sure what colors to match with those on the head unit.

You risk blowing the channel in the amp.

There must be a download available for it.

Posted · Report post

got this from http://www.modifiedlife.com/car-stereo-radio-wiring-diagram-2005-nissan-350z/

Radio Constant 12V+ Wire: Yellow

Radio Switched 12V+ Wire: Light Green
Radio Ground Wire: Chassis
Radio Illumination Dimmer Wire: Red/Blue
Radio Antenna Trigger Wire: Green/White
Radio Amplifier Turn On Wire: Green/Yellow
Left Front Speaker Wire (+): Blue/Red
Left Front Speaker Wire (-): Black/White
Right Front Speaker Wire (+): Yellow/Red
Right Front Speaker Wire (-): Red/White
Left Rear Speaker Wire (+): Light Green/Red
Left Rear Speaker Wire (-): Black/Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Wire (+): Blue/Orange
Right Rear Speaker Wire (-): Black/Pink

I HATE it when they do a random color scheme. blue/orange and black pink are a pair!?!?!?!?

Posted · Report post

hey i just checked the outputs from the radio. It all looks fine. The radio is fine. Used earphones to check the audio output.

"green and green/black" wires output from radio works fine. Could hear music clearly in earphones.

"pink and pink/red"  wires output from radio works fine. Could hear music clearly in earphones.

the white/black and blue/white cable showed 12 volts across it. So that seems fine too.

I think something wrong with the amp then?

2. i did the 9v volt across the speaker thing and nothing happens. Couldn't hear anything.

3. I took the amp out but there is no damn fuse on it! 

what now guys?

Posted · Report post

the 9v battery trick should make a click noise when contact is made across the battery. its very brief. so put the battery on/off/on/off . 

it must be in this arrangement :    speaker -> wires -> Battery

if you get your clicking its not the speakers (which is likely since you dont have sound from any speakers!).

i would think it may be the amp. or the connections to the amp. take pics of the connections the amp? 

edit: you didnt disconnect your amp did you ?

Posted · Report post

the 9v battery trick should make a click noise when contact is made across the battery. its very brief. so put the battery on/off/on/off . 

it must be in this arrangement :    speaker -> wires -> Battery

if you get your clicking its not the speakers (which is likely since you dont have sound from any speakers!).

i would think it may be the amp. or the connections to the amp. take pics of the connections the amp? 

edit: you didnt disconnect your amp did you ?

http://my350z.com/forum/attachments/audio-and-video/126801d1164916656-factory-sub-not-working-av-10.jpg

When I make contact with the 9V battery, no sound is heard from speakers. These wires are the ones that go INTO the amp.from the Head Unit. So the actual arrangement was this...

speaker -> amp --->  wires -> 9V Battery

Could not hear anything. I am sure the speakers are fine because they wont ALL die at once. The HU works fine too (checked audio outputs). Only thing between the HU and speakers is the bose amp.

I really think the amp is gone.

I opened it up and saw a diode thing that didn't allow current through either way. So I think the amp is gone. I couldn't find a fuse anywhere. Or is the fuse for it somewhere else?

Whats the best places to buy a cheap bose amp? 

Posted · Report post

FIXED THE PROBLEM! the issue was not the amp. It was incorrect wiring. 

And this colour coding (below) that i found all over the internet as well...

got this from http://www.modifiedlife.com/car-stereo-radio-wiring-diagram-2005-nissan-350z/

Radio Constant 12V+ Wire: Yellow

Radio Switched 12V+ Wire: Light Green
Radio Ground Wire: Chassis
Radio Illumination Dimmer Wire: Red/Blue
Radio Antenna Trigger Wire: Green/White
Radio Amplifier Turn On Wire: Green/Yellow
Left Front Speaker Wire (+): Blue/Red
Left Front Speaker Wire (-): Black/White
Right Front Speaker Wire (+): Yellow/Red
Right Front Speaker Wire (-): Red/White
Left Rear Speaker Wire (+): Light Green/Red
Left Rear Speaker Wire (-): Black/Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Wire (+): Blue/Orange
Right Rear Speaker Wire (-): Black/Pink

I HATE it when they do a random color scheme. blue/orange and black pink are a pair!?!?!?!?

..is WRONG! none of the colours matched what i saw behind the head unit.

I guess those are for overseas model Z, not the australian one.

I found the australian one and got the wiring right and now music plays!! my amp wasn't dead! :D

Posted · Report post

congrats on getting it working.

probably worth sharing the aus wiring diagram, thats how forums work.

you take some, you give some :)

Posted · Report post

congrats on getting it working.

probably worth sharing the aus wiring diagram, thats how forums work.

you take some, you give some :)

yup definitely. Here are the Aus diagrams. As you can see the colour codes are different to the ones provided above by 'The_dude'

Hope it helps Aus 350z users. :)

post-7440-0-04852400-1372205531_thumb.jp

post-7440-0-01513700-1372205571_thumb.jp

post-7440-0-07158600-1372205576_thumb.jp

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

• Topics

• RAYS 19" RIM REPAIRS
      By Stephen Sweeney · Posted
      Hi guys, Having recently purchased my 2011 370Z in immaculate condition, except gutter rash on 2 wheels, I researched a business to repair same online. Should you be in the Newcastle area I can HIGHLY RECOMMEND Rim Repair Newcastle. The business operator Lee is originally from Texas USA, and has been doing this work for 20 years in total, and his professionalism and quality of work bears this out. I was more than impressed by his work, completing the repairs with tyres on rims, masking everything meticulously before the painting process, completing same with a clear over the top.  
    • 2009 - 2010 v20 MAPS
      By #1ZED · Posted
      Cancel that!
    • Steering lock failure
      By adelaidezedman · Posted
      I'm in that boat right now. How did you go??
    • Intelligent Key System steering wheel lock failure
      By adelaidezedman · Posted
      I had same today. I had it happen once before and found the hammer hit on the metal box got me going... I figured that was the last of it. I was not aware of the fuse pull once you get started. It happened again today and RAA towed to Main North Nissan. I now know about the fuse pull but it's too late. Quoted $2300 to fix. If Nissan won't cover it, I will pull it out and try and fix myself...
    • Hello!
      By ohpeter · Posted
      Hi mate,   Welcome. I run a very stock 2009 370z and have had zero problems. I think it depends on how you drive it and what you do to it. The only thing I can warn you about is the very limited rear 180deg view, e.g., behind your ears back. That said, its a sports car so kinda to be expected and you will learn to cope. Cheers.