Welcome to Zclub - Australia's Largest Nissan 370Z and Nissan 350Z Forum
Register for FREE to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Nissan 370z VS Toyota GT 86

529 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Well thisss got a bit heated...each to their own guys! :-P

Posted · Report post

Good value for money.

We went to check one out when we were car shopping, as the Mrs likes the look of them, and the small back seat would be handy (small dogs). I wasn't really interested because they're a bit slower off the mark than I wanted, but it turns out after sitting in one the Mrs was off the idea anyway.

Here is a girls opinion of what is often accused of being a chicks car:

-Dash looks silly. Supercar inspired buttons makes it look a bit 'try hard'.

-No storage. The lack of door pockets and centre console stood out to her. I hadn't noticed.

-Not comfy. Again, it was the lack of centre console. She likes to rest her arm.

If they were designing a chicks car, they should have spoken to a few. ;)

Oatesy.

Posted · Report post

I read an interesting statistic recently. Locally they sold over 8000 86/BRZs over the last year. Which means that more of these were sold than Mazda 6 or Handa Jazz over the same period.

Posted · Report post

Wow, I'd believe that, I've seen alottt on the road lately. I think it's a great small car for people who don't like the look of the standard small jap cars being produced, but still want a small car anyway. Doesn't drink too much petrol and isn't too powerful. I'd never part my z for one though!

Posted · Report post

I just find them terribly slow, up in Johannesburg at 1650 metres you loose 18% air to a motor, it just kills an 86

Posted · Report post

I read an interesting statistic recently. Locally they sold over 8000 86/BRZs over the last year. Which means that more of these were sold than Mazda 6 or Handa Jazz over the same period.

Nissan Australia only sells about ~400 370's a year. But when you see one on the road you actually stop and look. 86/BRZ is like a dime a dozen over here now.

Posted · Report post

I fail to see how the 86 is better than any of the last 3 generations of Zed. Realistically the 86 has sold well because it's cheap and is perhaps good value for money. Personally I prefer a sports car that actually performs.

Posted · Report post

Have my z for sale and had an offer to trade it for an 86 today. Well I'm not interested, but I checked out his add on Gumtree. There are heaps of them for sale. Low ks and near new even gt. Looks like no one wants em.

Posted · Report post

They all spent all that time waiting for them and now they don't want them

Posted · Report post

Looks like no one wants em.

That's a rather irrational statement. They sell ~700 of them each month. So plenty of people seem to want them. The more likely reason you see so many of them for sale is because there are a lot of them around.

For comparisions sake - they sell about 30 370Zs per month ... so you can see which one is in more demand.

ps. Price has a lot to do with it - but bottom line is they are in high demand, and sell like hotcakes.

Posted · Report post

Had an extended rural drive of an 86 GTS yesterday... what a great little car!

Of course it hasn't got the torque/power of my Z but the 86 is such a wonderful, tactile driving experience.  The balance is great, without the front end weight/push that you get with the Z when entering a corner at speed, it obviously has a much lower polar moment of inertia due to its low profile flat four being set low and further back in the chassis.  I guess this is where the FM platform used in the Z is a bit compromised.

The suspension is compliant yet sits flat around corners and the seats and driving position are excellent.  Due to the lack of torque the engine needs to be revved and the gearbox used plentifully, but this is no hardship as the gearshift and clutch are so sweet, reminiscent of an MX-5 or RX-8.  The engine revs sweetly but sounds pretty ordinary. It obviously needs an exhaust, just like a standard Z does!

The interior is obviously cheaper, but as a driving machine all the essentials are there.  As I mentioned the handling is great but traction and outright grip is less than the Z due to the Prius tyres fitted as standard.  Would be great to try it with some softer, grippier rubber.

The Z and the 86 are totally different but in spite of what some of the haters on here may say, each are very satisfying sportscars in their own individual way.

Posted · Report post

Why do people say the Toyota 86 corners flat when all the photos I see of it cornering online show huge amounts of body roll?

Posted · Report post

I was very keen on the toyota 86 since they first showed the ft86 concept car. Ultimately I ended up disappointed with the final production model. Not enough power for my liking and the engine isn't tuner friendly enough in my opinion. The interior has been pulled straight out of the 90's (good for nostalgia, not so good when using it as a daily driver). The handling is great fun though. Too overpriced for me to jusitfy purchasing, should have been closer to $30k drive away not $40k. The massive delays with new orders was dreadful too.

I ended up buying a used 370z for significantly less than a toyota 86. The 370z gave me what I was looking for, a nice looking RWD with plenty of performance and good handling. The flash interior is an added bonus :)

Posted · Report post

WELL I own a Toyota GT86 & have done for 2  years now. So i can tell you what you want to no about it. I am in the market for a 350 or 370 Z for the reason that i want a heavyer car with auto & now i want a change. The Gt 86 is a excellent car to drive & handles realy well on the track & for a every day driver BUT i do find it a bit harsh with bumps & the seats are hard. The car realy gets going around 3500 revs & up & of cause the 7.5 liters per 100 klm is inpresive. I could go on but if you want to ask questions please ask. :thumbsup:

Posted · Report post

The Gt86 does not corner flat but it corners very well with 17'' wheels & 225-45-17 tyres, it depends what you do to the suspension on this car. But  it is realy made for a drift car & for that not many cars come close.

Posted · Report post

The market for the 86 reminds me of the Ninja 250. When the ninja 250 just came out everyone wanted one, looked the best but the performance was pretty shitty compared to the CBR and ZXR250 etc.

The demand was so high and it was so overpriced i remember people selling them for like $8500 when you can get it at a dealer for around $7000 (but had to wait 3 months). Now you can get one for like 3-4K. The 86 is cool but i think over priced and the performance is pretty pathetic.

I find it really interesting how people say the 86 subjectively feels great to drive but objectively has little power, has slow launch and laptimes. I dont see how much fun it would be when you own a 86 and a ordinary family car (commodre) could pretty much keep up if not beat you.

Posted · Report post

I find it really interesting how people say the 86 subjectively feels great to drive but objectively has little power, has slow launch and laptimes. I dont see how much fun it would be when you own a 86 and a ordinary family car (commodre) could pretty much keep up if not beat you.

Have you driven one on the Old Pac or other such road?

If you're driving on a public road it's not necessarily about how fast you get from point to point, or otherwise for the price of a Z you would have bought an Evo and absolutely demolished almost anything (stock) on that kind of road. Mind you, you'd either be bored out of your skull or doing the kinds of speeds that gets you locked up.

Tactile experience is hard to explain, and people who compare cars purely by the spec sheet are never going to get it. It depends on whether you want to enjoy driving the car, or enjoy bragging to people about how big the numbers are on your car. I like driving, and on a public road I like the car that feels like an extension of me. The Z's nice, don't get me wrong, but it's no BRZ86 in terms of how it responds to you. Jinba Ittai, a phrase adopted by the other infamously underpowered Japanese handling machine, applies just as much here and it's something that needs to be experienced first.

The Commodore may keep up with it in a straight line if that's your idea of fun, but if that's what you're in to then you should have bought an SS or XR6T instead of the Z. In the end, to me that's boring until you're in the 11's and even then it gets a bit tired after a while. After the first 60' the car does all the work and you're just a passenger with your right leg stretched out. Once you hit two corners the 86 will disappear on a Commodore, and if the road gets tight enough it'll more than hold its own against a Z.

I've driven a massive variety of cars over the years, and as something purely for taking up a winding road on a weekend that isn't blocked off for a road rally I think the BRZ86 and MX-5 (the other car with the same rep) are pretty difficult to beat until you're hitting the daily impractical cars like an Elise or a Lotus 7 replica. You're not out there to set a new record time, but you're out there for the pure pleasure of just driving a car that does what you tell it pretty close to when you tell it. Personally I'd take the MX-5 over the 86, just because the rooflessness adds another dimension to that experience, but if I needed rear seats I wouldn't feel bad about buying a 86.

For the record I've chased down a R32 GT-R with 300awkW in a stock, auto, MX-5 on the Old Pac before, in that section between Calga and Somersby where the only straight it could use its power was at the bridge over the creek. He pulled away crossing the bridge but I caught him again before we got half way up the hill. Beating Godzilla in a hairdresser's car was way more fun than doing it in my Z. Even if the other car were to pull away, I'd still have fun trying to catch up.

Yes the BRZ86/MX-5 could do with more power, but then every car could.

It just occurred to me that you're a rider, given the analogy I didn't quote. How do you feel about the well-sorted small bikes vs the big bikes? Yes something like a 'busa or R1 will get you from one end of the Old Pac to the other in pretty short order and you'll probably hit some pretty impressive speeds in the straights, but there's something to be said about riding an ultra-chuckable CBR250RR or ZXR250 (let alone something crazy like an Aprilia RS) and wringing it through each gear...while not doing the kinds of speeds that will punch your body through a tree trunk should you come off at the end of the straight.

Posted · Report post

Come on having just purchased my350 roadster there isn't a ugly angle too it,can't say that for the rest. :)

Posted · Report post

Come old PAC on Wednesday! there is lots to talk about :thumbsup:

If we do a day run we can grab a pie as well. 

Posted · Report post

If you're driving on a public road it's not necessarily about how fast you get from point to point, or otherwise for the price of a Z you would have bought an Evo and absolutely demolished almost anything (stock) on that kind of road. Mind you, you'd either be bored out of your skull or doing the kinds of speeds that gets you locked up.

Tactile experience is hard to explain, and people who compare cars purely by the spec sheet are never going to get it. It depends on whether you want to enjoy driving the car, or enjoy bragging to people about how big the numbers are on your car. I like driving, and on a public road I like the car that feels like an extension of me. The Z's nice, don't get me wrong, but it's no BRZ86 in terms of how it responds to you. Jinba Ittai, a phrase adopted by the other infamously underpowered Japanese handling machine, applies just as much here and it's something that needs to be experienced first.

The Commodore may keep up with it in a straight line if that's your idea of fun, but if that's what you're in to then you should have bought an SS or XR6T instead of the Z. In the end, to me that's boring until you're in the 11's and even then it gets a bit tired after a while. After the first 60' the car does all the work and you're just a passenger with your right leg stretched out. Once you hit two corners the 86 will disappear on a Commodore, and if the road gets tight enough it'll more than hold its own against a Z.

I've driven a massive variety of cars over the years, and as something purely for taking up a winding road on a weekend that isn't blocked off for a road rally I think the BRZ86 and MX-5 (the other car with the same rep) are pretty difficult to beat until you're hitting the daily impractical cars like an Elise or a Lotus 7 replica. You're not out there to set a new record time, but you're out there for the pure pleasure of just driving a car that does what you tell it pretty close to when you tell it. Personally I'd take the MX-5 over the 86, just because the rooflessness adds another dimension to that experience, but if I needed rear seats I wouldn't feel bad about buying a 86.

For the record I've chased down a R32 GT-R with 300awkW in a stock, auto, MX-5 on the Old Pac before, in that section between Calga and Somersby where the only straight it could use its power was at the bridge over the creek. He pulled away crossing the bridge but I caught him again before we got half way up the hill. Beating Godzilla in a hairdresser's car was way more fun than doing it in my Z. Even if the other car were to pull away, I'd still have fun trying to catch up.

Yes the BRZ86/MX-5 could do with more power, but then every car could.

Well said, I drive a range of cars and machinery. Each for it's own application.

If I was wealthy I would have more vehicle's.

It just occurred to me that you're a rider, given the analogy I didn't quote. How do you feel about the well-sorted small bikes vs the big bikes? Yes something like a 'busa or R1 will get you from one end of the Old Pac to the other in pretty short order and you'll probably hit some pretty impressive speeds in the straights, but there's something to be said about riding an ultra-chuckable CBR250RR or ZXR250 (let alone something crazy like an Aprilia RS) and wringing it through each gear...while not doing the kinds of speeds that will punch your body through a tree trunk should you come off at the end of the straight.

Posted · Report post

What do people think of the new Toyota GT 86. THe car seems a bit odd ...370z still kicks ASS in my opinion

Hey mate my friend just picked up one of these 86 on thursday, ansd i gotta tell you it is seriously under powered, and i think unless it gets full on modified its a piece of crap compared to any of the Z,s

Posted · Report post

Looks are a personal preference thing

I don't like the look of the Toyota 86 but it's cool inside and a lot of fun to drive

The Subaru BRZ has a better suspension setup - saves hundreds of dollars in upgrades

(The bluetooth does not have decent noise cancellation and the navigator isn't great)

I would not describe the 86 as seriously under powered at all

It's power to weight ratio is about half way between a Mazda3 and 370Z

It's peppy and fun, more power would be good, sure

It's the handling that's the drawcard

Posted · Report post

my friend just picked up one of these 86 on thursday, ansd i gotta tell you it is seriously under powered, and i think unless it gets full on modified its a piece of crap compared to any of the Z,s

Have you actually tried to drive it around a set of bends?

A Lotus Elise is underpowered compared to a Z too, but if that's your only yardstick then you're missing the point of the car.

Posted · Report post

Have you actually tried to drive it around a set of bends?

A Lotus Elise is underpowered compared to a Z too, but if that's your only yardstick then you're missing the point of the car.

yeh we did take for a drive up the mountains, its cornering was quite good but like i said its lacking alot of power to do any real serious stuff with it

Posted · Report post

So would an Elise also be too underpowered to do "serious stuff" with?

Compared to the Z its also lacking a lot of weight, which makes it easier to brake late, carry corner entry speed and make sudden changes of direction in S bends. But it requires a lot more commitment on the part of the driver.

The Z is easier to drive fast because you can just use the throttle, but the BRZ86 is more rewarding for those willing to push.

On a tight downhill run I'd bet on the 86. Uphill or on large radius sweepers I'd take the Z.