Welcome to Zclub - Australia's Largest Nissan 370Z and Nissan 350Z Forum
Register for FREE to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Nissan 370z VS Toyota GT 86

529 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

What do people think of the new Toyota GT 86. THe car seems a bit odd ...370z still kicks ASS in my opinion

Posted · Report post

This has been in my mind for weeks, all new hachiryuko VS 370z.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Z but..........on paper the hachiryuko better my z in almost every way. I have no doubt it corners better as well, 1100kg dry weight VS 1700kg .

Oh well.

Posted · Report post

Comparing them is like comparing apple to orange I reckon

Posted · Report post

Armt they 147kw?

Posted · Report post

I reckon they can be compared since they are both rear wheel sports cars.... in my mind, the 86 is just a lighter and much slower 370z/350z. Sure it'll handle better but with power to weight ratio worse than even the last celicas I wouldn't even consider it.

I might as well go out and buy a celica for 1/4 the price and put up with it's bad-ass front wheel drive lol

Posted · Report post

It's also half the price of a 370Z... that's just like comparing a Commodore Executive with an AMG E63 because they are both 4-door sedans. But I'm going to buy a Kia instead and put up with its bad-ass FWD.

Posted · Report post

lol is this a real question?

Posted · Report post

You might as well factor the Hyundai tiburon into your options too if you're gonna consider the 86..

Posted · Report post

Anyone who does some club racing will have more than a passing interest in this car. Toyota has made it pretty clear that from ground-up the 86 was designed to be tuner-friendly and even announced a cut-price club-sport edition in Japan for around $24K. If the car handles as described and sets a half-decent lap time then I'm sure we'll see stacks of them at local track days.

This car isn't really comparable to the 370Z, if the Silvia was still around then you'd have a pretty clear competitor. Long live the cut-price RWD sports car!

Posted · Report post

I'd half consider selling the Z for one :) Not sure on an 86 or BRZ though. Although the 2013 Z looks like my car with a much better interior :)

Posted · Report post

Z is in a different league.

86 is more a Mx-5 competitor - if you like your balanced but slow.

Posted · Report post

This has been in my mind for weeks, all new hachiryuko VS 370z. Don't get me wrong, I love my Z but..........on paper the hachiryuko better my z in almost every way. I have no doubt it corners better as well, 1100kg dry weight VS 1700kg . Oh well.

1780 is gross weight (for fat buggers & their picnic baskets ??), & tare / dry weight is 1495 kg for the Zed actually. (plus Toyota's 'propaganda', is prolly minus, oils, fuel, fluids, battery etc )

145 pissy kw v's a healthy 245 kw for the Zed .....

I know where my money is staying !!!!.......They'll be as popular as an MR2 !!!

Posted · Report post

The GT 86 or BRZ STI are nice enough, but just not in the same category as a Z. Forget about the power as we know turbo kits will be cheap as chips, I reckon it's more of a track car with a lot of weight compromises. The Z is so refined compared to this.

Style wise, I'm not a huge fan of it.

I'll still test drive one but I don't think I'd ever get one.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/01/subaru-brz-sti-concept-gets-japanese-debut-2012-tokyo-auto-salon.html

Posted · Report post

yep @ zed34@SellYourPlate, they're both 'try hards', but not with the stye & heritage of the Zed.......they'll be a 'flash in the pan'....

The ZED will prevail !!!

But on a positive, it might just be the kick up the arse Nissan needs to make the 400Z a real KILLER !!

Posted · Report post

i will wait for toyota to release their TRD supercharged version before making up my mind.

Posted · Report post

Im on the order list..

Posted · Report post

Spectulated price of the GT86 and BRZ are around the $40K mark and the Z is $70K. I think money talks, the GT86 and BRZ are value for money in the Australian market... Surely you would be able to make the GT86 or BRZ faster than the Z with the $30K difference... So I think the slowest argument goes out the door. Also, Greddy has already produced a 400hp or so GT86...

Posted · Report post

Released in July this year yeah?

If it is released at about $40k will be a real compeditor for the Z value wise. Still prefer the Z hands down, but from reviews I've read the 86 handles very well too. Be interesting to read the first official comparisons between the cars. Can't find any reviews at the moment comparing the 2.

Posted · Report post

Underpowered and every muzza with p plates and mum and dad's money will have one.

Posted · Report post

It doesn't do it for me but I expect there will be heavily modified ones on the road with impressive figures due to the engine block

Posted · Report post

Anything can handle well when it doesnt have enough power to go around a corner fast.

Lets see it on release.

Pricing

Features

Luxury

are all a big question right now.

Buying one to slap a turbo on it and void the warranty of a $40k series 1 car seems a bit too much of a risk for my liking. The new DI system may be more difficult (and expensive) to tune as well; we just don't know enough about it yet.

I've been watching this car for many years now and my opinion is that its not a competitor for the Z; its a competitor for the MX-5.

Posted · Report post

wouldnt power to weight be similar......they are only 1200kg apparently

watch the hks vid on youtube, first version theyve put an exhaust on it and have to use the handbrake to get it to drift

Posted · Report post

wouldnt power to weight be similar......they are only 1200kg apparently

No, not even close.

370Z = ~6.2kW per Kg

GT86 = ~8.3kW per Kg

ps. Though, you're right about the weight Sam ... they're predicting low 1200s kg in terms of weight ... which sounds great. That's not much heavier than an MX5, which is at around 1180kg.

Posted · Report post

official weight is 1100kg