Welcome to Zclub - Australia's Largest Nissan 370Z and Nissan 350Z Forum
Register for FREE to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

70 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

New surface at Phillip Island is super smooth. makes what was the best place in Aus to drive even better.

Was back at the island on sunday and knocked 2 secs off my time to get down to 1.50.518

Need to do some serious rethink on the front camber and pressures as it cost me another failed tyre.

Posted · Report post

NewPB for Phillip Island

Phillip Island 2:07.2 1:55.7 1.54.2427 1.53.5828 1.52.19 1.50.518

Winton 1:45.4 1:43.649 1:41.2511

Calder 1:10.4 1.07.8

Haunted Hills 62.91

Sandown - 1:30.8908 1:29.4937(Damp) 

Posted · Report post

New surface at Phillip Island is super smooth. makes what was the best place in Aus to drive even better.

Was back at the island on sunday and knocked 2 secs off my time to get down to 1.50.518

Need to do some serious rethink on the front camber and pressures as it cost me another failed tyre.

Great work at PI....Do you mind sharing what setup you are running?

I'm so jealous of you guys getting to the track!!

Posted · Report post

The main setup is as follows

Engine

Only mods are stillen intakes and complete header back exhaust system

Suspension

BC BR coil overs dont know what actual lowering over stock was but has about 60mm ground clearance with track wheels

Dampers set 1 click of full hard on rear and 3 clicks on the front

Whitelist line sway bars hard front medium rear

SPC camber arms. Now junk and will be replaced soon

Dunlop DZ03G R1 compound (second hardest) 265F 295R hot pressures 32psi F 31psi R

Alignment

Camber 4.5neg F 1.5 neg rear

Toe 1 degree out F 1 degree in R

Aerodynamics

Front Stillen Splitter and canards with custom under tray I built (will post up soon)

Rear INGs Power Wing 15 way adjustable set to max downforce on a low mount

Cobra race seat with 6 point harness

Brakes

Endless MX72 all round

DBA5000 front and standard rear rotors.

Stillen brake duct

Plus oil and trans cooler

Changes to setup moving forward will be mainly for PI as it is killing my front right

Reduce camber to -3.5 and increase pressure at front to 34 hot

New stuff I am researching is new brake rotors to replace all round as DBAs are cracked and rears are at limit possible going with Brembo disks or AP racing BB kit on the front. Rear I will probably go with DVA 4000

New camber arms will probably be Kinetix as SPL haven't released yet and the Diran racing ones are too expensive

Cheers

K

Posted · Report post

Gah that's so faaaaaast!

Posted · Report post

Keith, that is an outstanding time, however, you will need to look at tyres.  There were 38 tyre failures at a Porsche day 2 weekends ago, and at the VSCRC 2 weeks ago, the improved Production class had to shorten their races from 10 to 8 laps as the A050 control tyre they use experienced failures on heavy cars (Basically late-model Commodores and Falcons), whereas the lighter cars were OK

The feedback from Yokohama was that the set up was OK, it is just that the weight combined with the loading generated by the new surface overwhelms the tyre-carcas construction's ability to resist the heat build up given all the long and hi-speed right handers at PI.

There is another way and that is to consider a larger averall tyre so it physically contains more air - it means using 40-profile and rubber selection is going ot be a problem, plus it will affect your gearing and ride height.

Posted · Report post

Hey Robin I did hear that the new surface was killing tyres, is this just the new surface bedding in? I'm heading there this weeekend and have just switched to Hankook Soft Compounds and am a little worried given the feedback of harshness of the new surface.

Posted · Report post

Take a pyrometer with you and check your tyre temps ... anything over 95 degC when you get back to the pits is going to be an issue, especially for the inside edge of the tyre.

If you don;t have one, let me know and you can borrow mine ... I'll figure out how to get it to you.

The Improved prod guys at VSCRC 1 all had to adapt their style to be easier on the tyres ... is more about driving the car straighter and not carrying as much mid-corner speed.  Will cost 0.5 to 0.75 sec in lap time but will save the tyres.

By this, I mean opening up T3 and making entry and exit into T2 as wide as possible - same for Lukey Heights and the entry to top of main straight.

Posted · Report post

Can confirm tyre tmp issues

I was getting 98 on inside of front right. About 60 on the outside

Posted · Report post

Should not have more than 10 deg C difference inside to outside - if it is more, take camber out of the car.  Should be 80 inside, 75 middle and 70 outside - 68 to 98 is too much and as you've identiified, you need to stand the tyre up a bit more, and/or look to cornering technique (or both).

You could also go stiffer on the front bar to move weight to the inside wheel - suspect that means a bigger bar for you though.  NISMO do a 28, 31.4 and 34mm for the Fairlady Z RC so maybe these are also available from the JDM tuners ??

Sounds like we may need a bull-tish session over a beer !!

Posted · Report post

Any chance you can do lunch tomorrow

I have break from 115 till 2

Posted · Report post

Phillip Island 2:07.2 1:55.7 1.54.2427 1.53.5828 1.52.19 1.50.518

Winton 1:45.4 1:43.649 1:41.2511

Calder 1:10.4 1.07.8

Haunted Hills 62.91

Sandown - 1:30.8908 1:29.4937(Damp) 1:26.8

Posted · Report post

Winton new pb :)

1:42.3 (semi's on rear) - stock

Cant wait to go back and try with semi's all around 

Posted · Report post

New PB at Winton

Phillip Island 2:07.2 1:55.7 1.54.2427 1.53.5828 1.52.19 1.50.518
Winton 1:45.4 1:43.649 1:41.2511 1:39.5
Calder 1:10.4 1.07.8
Haunted Hills 62.91
Sandown - 1:30.8908 1:29.4937(Damp) 1:26.8

Posted · Report post

Kieran Wu was doing 1:09 at Wakefield yesterday

Posted · Report post

New PB at Winton

Phillip Island 1.50.518

Winton 1:38.6

Calder 1.07.8

Haunted Hills 62.91

Sandown - 1:26.8

Posted · Report post

Phillip Island 2:07.2 1:55.7 1.54.2427 1.53.5828 1.52.19 1.50.518 1.49.90 1.48.8954
Winton 1:45.4 1:43.649 1:41.2511 1:39.5 1.38.6
Calder 1:10.4 1.07.8
Haunted Hills 62.91
Sandown - 1:30.8908 1:29.4937(Damp) 1:26.8 1.25.3

Posted · Report post

Not really being a technical geek, i am quiet suprised, that top speeds and lap times werent really all that outstanding.

Posted · Report post

Probably more a problem with your expectations

The Z weights as much as a V8 supercar (1.5 tonne) but has approx half the power

Posted · Report post

Not really being a technical geek, i am quiet suprised, that top speeds and lap times werent really all that outstanding.

I think some of the lap times are fairly impressive in comparison with more pricier/newer model sports cars :)