Welcome to Zclub - Australia's Largest Nissan 370Z and Nissan 350Z Forum
Register for FREE to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Single turbo conversion for a 07 HR 350 - HELP NEEDED!!!!!!!!!

20 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hey everyone,

Im new to this forum but i need some serious help!

I have been doing a fair bit of research on twin turbo vs single turbo ect. i'v chosen a single turbo, GT35R would be ideal. but the more i learn the more i realise that there is NOTHING out there for the 07 HR.... i have been looking through a few sites like turbokits.com and Momentum motorsports i can only find one twin turbo kit...

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Regards,

Callan

Posted · Report post

Try looking on the yank Z sites. There is a bit of stuff for HRs and I know that there is a twin turbo kit.

Posted · Report post

try trust (greddy)

or HKS

Posted · Report post

Don't even bother looking - there's no single turbo kit for the HR that you can buy off the shelf...if you want one you'll need to get something custom made as the piping and fabrication required makes it too much of a hassle and pain in the ass to mass produce given the twin throttle body configuration.

As you're probably read, the 03-06 Zed turbo parts do not transfer across to the 07+ motor as almost everything is different (pistons, rods, fuel rail, EMS etc etc).

If you're serious about the build, I'd recommend that you speak to Triple 9 automotive (http://www.999automotive.com.au/). I was buying some parts from their stall @ World Time Attack, got to talking with Zero and she mentioned that they're in the process of doing a turbo build with a VQ35HR Zed using a modified Power Enterprise turbo kit.

HKS offer 3 turbo kits to suit the HR: GT-SS (320ps per turbo), GT2530 (320ps per turbo) and the GT-RS (380ps per turbo I think).

Trust/Greddy don't have any turbo kits to suit the AUS HR - trust me I've asked. I was looking at the TD-06SH 20G (8cm twin turbo kit which is good for 400ps per turbo) but they're still 6 months away from converting the US kits over to RHD and getting them ready for mass production.

Posted · Report post

Easiest way to solve the pipework dilemma going from a single turbo to twin throttle bodies, is with an intercooler with one inlet and two outlets (one outlet each side) BUT I have no idea what would happen airflow wise. You may end up with more air going to one throttle body than the other... In theory it's possible, but might be a pain the the ass to pull off successfully.

Posted · Report post

oh ok then, it seems like twin is the only way to go for the 07 HR....

with regards to the above link to turbokits.com, does anyone believe this wont fit due to the steering colum being on the left side in america??

also if im aiming for 450hp would a 3" or 4" be the way to go??

Thanks for all the help so far!

Posted · Report post

Easiest way to solve the pipework dilemma going from a single turbo to twin throttle bodies, is with an intercooler with one inlet and two outlets (one outlet each side) BUT I have no idea what would happen airflow wise. You may end up with more air going to one throttle body than the other... In theory it's possible, but might be a pain the the ass to pull off successfully.

Yeah, you're completely right...and I'd imagine that the airflow would be adversely affected in a traditional front mount. You could use an intercooler like this but you would need to get it custom made along with all the piping.

intercooler_front_lower.jpg

With a goal of 450hp you don't need to build the internals - the HR is good for that without upgrading the internals.

If I had the cash lying around right now, I'd buy the HKS GT-2530 twin turbo kit, GReddy type 29 intercooler and the other bits and pieces (fuel pump, injectors etc) and leave the internals as it.

With factory internals at a safe PSI you'll stil get north of 300kw @ the wheels as the HR is a strong engine.

Posted · Report post

oh ok then thats great news! do you have a link to the hks kit?

also whats the thoughts on the greddy twin turbo kit i posted up above?

Posted · Report post

oh ok then thats great news! do you have a link to the hks kit?

also whats the thoughts on the greddy twin turbo kit i posted up above?

Yep, here is a link to the GReddy kit- it's actually the installation manual lol (http://www.greddy.com/upload/file/07-350Z_TK_20Gs01.pdf)

It's a great kit...it's a shame that it only comes in LHD at the moment but it's a great kit. The guys in the US are getting great results whn using this kit.

This is the link to the HKS turbo kits (http://www.hks-power.co.jp/db/product_chart.aspx?LN=EN&N_ID=427).

If you clink on the little icon under the details tab it'll take you through to a description and this link talks about a shop in the US who uses the GT-RS kit for their HR build (http://my350z.com/forum/shop-builds/357675-twin-turbo-vq35hr-performance-factory-exclusive-465whp-8-3psi-base-tune.html).

Just ignore the point that the car pumps out 460HP at the wheels and the owner is a 16 year old..

Posted · Report post

hopes crushed.... surely the kits could be altered to fit a RHD car???

Posted · Report post

The kits can be altered for RHD, but along with the steering being on the opposite side, our starter motors are also on the opposite side compared to LHD, and they take up a fair chunk of space. Not trying to put you off at all, just making you aware of some other possible hurdles.

I say buy it, modify and prosper!!

Posted · Report post

im not discouraged yet!! apart from the steering colum and the starter motor being on the wrong side is there much else i should be aware of?? and how much extra money should i be putting aside to cater for these alterations?

also turbokits.com have made it very clear that there is a RHD version of this kit... wondering if this is completely correct or just a marketting tool...

But as you say monk, modify and prosper :) will be rare once done especially in the solar orange pearl :)

Posted · Report post

Those would be the main hurdles I think. The rest of the engine bay (bar battery/brake booster etc locations) is very much the same between LHD and RHD. Have a good look at the kits from the states to see what they do with air con hoses etc and you will have a good idea of other bits you will have to move/modify.

How much the alterations would cost is impossible to tell. You may have to pull the lot out 6 or 7 times to get it just right... That takes time and time costs big $$ when talking about custom fabricated stuff. Get to know someone that is very handy with a mig/tig and has good fab skills, then promise him am arm, a leg, your first born and possibly a testicle... :-p (NOTE: Exaggeration, but it would not be the cheapest thing on earth!)

At least when purchasing a kit you already have a good base to begin with.

Trying to single turbo the HR motor though, would cost a lot more IMO. All your pipework from the turbo to the twin throttle bodies would make for a lot of custom work up front. I could go on forever about completely customising the front end to suit (Custom radiator support, custom radiator, no A/C, mount turbo in front of the motor..... ) but that opens up a completely different can of worms........

Get a twin kit and change to suit would be the way I would go.

Either way, good luck to you man!

P.S Damn you! Brain ticking over too much in regards to mods... The wallet is screaming :-p

Posted · Report post

Try looking at pommy stuff or at least pommy fora. Their 350Zs are the same as ours. I got my goodies from abbeymotorsports.co.uk

Posted · Report post

Sell your 07 and use the money to buy a mint 03-05 track VQ35de powered 350z. you will thank me in the long run if you want a FI 350z

the only other real option is give up on the trubo kit and get a SC kit from GTM.com

Posted · Report post

Sell your 07 and use the money to buy a mint 03-05 track VQ35de powered 350z. you will thank me in the long run if you want a FI 350z

the only other real option is give up on the trubo kit and get a SC kit from GTM.com

I have been talking a fair bit with some people at GTM direct, on their website there is an option to get a twin turbo kit for a right hand drive car but i questioned what the difference was between the two kits. the guy sent me an email with 10+ pics of the install completed by Nismo in Japan. i went and saw my mechanic about the whole process and he said that it looks pretty spot on. Kit is 10k, then i have to get a new clutch, diff, and install but once im done it will be a 600hp engine (with low compression pistons and racing rods ect.

So its about a 20k job but how many 07 hr's do you see that have been turbo'd? im also getting 12" rear wheels so putting the power down to the ground shouldnt be any problem!

thanks for everyones help!

Posted · Report post

Very interesting what you're doing. Keep us posted!

Posted · Report post

With a goal of 450hp you don't need to build the internals - the HR is good for that without upgrading the internals.

If I had the cash lying around right now, I'd buy the HKS GT-2530 twin turbo kit, GReddy type 29 intercooler and the other bits and pieces (fuel pump, injectors etc) and leave the internals as it.

With factory internals at a safe PSI you'll stil get north of 300kw @ the wheels as the HR is a strong engine.

+1 on what ChrisS2010 said

Posted · Report post

@ 4Play,

I was doing a clean-up of my browser bookmarks and I dug this up (it's a shop in the US that used the GReddy TD-06SH 20G kit on their HR motor). They hit over 500 whp at 13 psi. I've included the article below but bear in mind that this was put together back in 08/09 when the HR motor was still reasonably undeveloped. There are much more parts available for the HR now (overseas at least).

When putting your build sheet together it would be worthwhile to find as many examples of HR turbo motors, find out what parts they used, do a bit of research into those parts and then pick/chose the set-up that you want.

Also, I reaslised that the power figures for the turbos I've given above aren't accurate so to clarify, the HKS GT-SS, GT-2530 and GT-RS are rated at 320ps, 320ps and 400ps respectively while the GReddy TD-06SH 20G is rated at 450ps. The GT-SS used to be rated at 280ps and was recently upgraded to 320ps hence the reason why its the same as the 2530. I don't know what the GTM kit turbo are rated at but that's gives you another set-up to compare...but if GTM now offer kits to suit RHD, they've made your life much easier.

When you finish the build, I call shotgun lol.

A local customer of ours had recently purchased a 2008 Nissan 350Z with the relatively undeveloped VQ35HR motor inside. Although this particular engine bridges the gap between the more common VQ35DE and the all new VQ37VHR, it was only produced for two years in the 350Z, and lacks the amount of aftermarket options seen in other versions of Nissan’s VQ platform. However, this would not prevent us from porting our popular “Stage 1″ package over to the HR motor with a few minor tweaks.

4117754610_35a07407b9_z.jpg?zz=1

The Nogaro Red 350Z was brought to us relatively stock, only featuring a Greddy True Dual Ti-C exhaust, which proves to be a perfect companion for any of the twin turbo kits available. The Greddy 20G Tuner twin turbo kit was chosen as the ideal solution for this car’s needs and budget. The setup would be controlled through the Haltech Platinum for 350Z, which can be wired in for cars equipped with the HR engine, and utilizing Deatschwerks 800cc injectors and a Walbro fuel pump to turn this “tuner” kit into a complete package.

4116984591_fddedd22b3_z.jpg?zz=1

Brian Crower rods and CP Pistons were used to help build our Stage 1 shortblock package, as well as new bearings, ARP L19 head studs, and a full gasket kit. Once the fresh engine had been reassembled, the car was ready to be broken in and then begin tuning at low boost. At only 6 psi, running off the wastegate spring, the strong VQ35HR was able to produce 395 whp on our Dyno Dynamics. This was the most amount of power we have seen produced at this pressure.

4117753950_7fa6a46f4b_z.jpg?zz=1

After a thorough initial tuning session, the car was ready to have the boost turned up a notch. By increasing pressure to approximately 13.5 psi, the car produced a whopping 513 whp before running out of fuel supply. This setup will be limited by the single Walbro pump until a dual pump hanger is installed and tuned for. Our customer will be more than pleased with this power level until deciding to turn the boost up even further for a real monster on the street. Our Stage 1 shortblock package will hold up to far more power than currently being used - perfect for the customer looking to plan for the future while the engine has already been removed.

4117735447_edd6a5a15d_z.jpg?zz=1