Welcome to Zclub - Australia's Largest Nissan 370Z and Nissan 350Z Forum
Register for FREE to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

running E85 in 370z

22 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Ok, so iv heard some talk around a couple forums about the 370Z being able to run E85 from a stock engine.

The word is that the ECU is already setup to take this fuel and can detect the amount of enthanol which will tune the fuel system and injectors etc without a custom tune.

Apparently it was a must for Nissan do to this as the 370z was to be sold in Europe which use E85 on a regular basis.

Has anyone had any run ins with using E85 in there 370z without changing the fuel setup or bigger injectors?

Im looking at running E85 in my car this weekend at the drags

Advice Please???????

Posted · Report post

I doubt we can run E85 on the aussie delivered 370Z.

With my experience in E85, you will need to upgrade injectors and fuel pump as a minimum and then re-tune the car. I doubt our cars have a sensor to detect ethanol content and adjust the fuel and ignition maps automatically.

Posted · Report post

I doubt we can run E85 on the aussie delivered 370Z.

With my experience in E85, you will need to upgrade injectors and fuel pump as a minimum and then re-tune the car. I doubt our cars have a sensor to detect ethanol content and adjust the fuel and ignition maps automatically.

Thats what i was thinking

a bloke sent an email to caltex in regards to running it in a normal car

Long story short most modern cars have "Flex Fuel Sensors" to be able to do it itself, the 370z being one of them.

Our Aussie Z should be identical to the GB one?

Posted · Report post

Send a email to Nissan Aus HQ?

Posted · Report post

dunno if it can handle it but my mate set up his evo 9 to run E85 and gained 30+Kw.... E85 is cheaper, burns faaster though, and his exhaust fumes stink..... burns alot colder than high octane petrol so a punched out cat is undetectable by heat gun.

There is only 1 servo in sydney that sells E85 and its on victoria rd rozelle.

i'd assume u'd gain a bit of power if u got the right injectors and fuel pump and a nice tune aswell....

Posted · Report post

really interested in this topic... I have been told a lot of good things about E85 but on some other jap imports that are modded to use E85. So if the 370z could handle the E85 without any mods or just some simple ones then definately worth it

Posted · Report post

Hmmm I always thought it could run e85. Who still sells e85 anyways? Isn't there like only 2 petrol stations that stock it?

Posted · Report post

dunno if it can handle it but my mate set up his evo 9 to run E85 and gained 30+Kw.... E85 is cheaper, burns faaster though, and his exhaust fumes stink..... burns alot colder than high octane petrol so a punched out cat is undetectable by heat gun.

There is only 1 servo in sydney that sells E85 and its on victoria rd rozelle.

i'd assume u'd gain a bit of power if u got the right injectors and fuel pump and a nice tune aswell....

E85 is readily available in Sydney now. Caltex now distribute it, eFlex 75-85% ethanol at selected stores around sydney.

Posted · Report post

very interested..

wonder if itll be any long term issues for daily driving.

Posted · Report post

Your ecu is set up for it as is mine in my 2008 350Z. I saw the settings in the uprev gizmo.

Getting the word from nissan is the smart move as then it cannot ever be a warranty issue.

Posted · Report post

I was told that only turbos benefit from E85 and that the fuel doesn't get you many kms.

Posted · Report post

All cars will benefit either n/a or turbo charged. But results have shown that turbo cars gain considerable torque and quicker spool up.

E85 has a higher octane rating, thus burns cooler than normal petrol and is better for your car. The higher octane rating allows more timing to be advanced, resulting in more power. There is always the concern about whether the ethanol content will ruin the factory fuel lines. But from what I have seen from mates running it, there have been no detrimental effects.

If we can run it I would be very happy. But i highly doubt it, as our stock injectors would not be able to supply enough fuel i.e. need upgraded injectors and fuel pump.

Posted · Report post

i think i will send some emails around and try and get some sort of answer asap

Posted · Report post

I can only speak from the perspective of a gtr but i have researched this extensively to the point where i have started buying parts to get it done. What you need (for a gtr anyway but it should be the same) are 950cc injectors, upgraded full pumps and a tune to match. Getting E85 is the issue, from what i am aware there is stil only 2 places around Melbourne where you can get it and thats some petrol station on Nepean HWY and one in Werribee. However you can mix it yourself to guarantee consistency and a higher amount of ethenol and that is what i am going to do.

Posted · Report post

This is taken from the Caltex website regarding E-Flex E85 fuel

Can i fuel my car with E85?

"At this stage, very few cars on Australia's roads are capable of running on E85. Vehicles in Holden's VE Series II Commodore range are the first Australian-made cars to run on this fue"l

So i take that as NO for running it in any Z

Posted · Report post

This is taken from the Caltex website regarding E-Flex E85 fuel

Can i fuel my car with E85?

"At this stage, very few cars on Australia's roads are capable of running on E85. Vehicles in Holden's VE Series II Commodore range are the first Australian-made cars to run on this fue"l

So i take that as NO for running it in any Z

I would say the only reason is because you have the wrong size injectors and fuel pump(s) and you need to tune accordingly.

Posted · Report post

I can only speak from the perspective of a gtr but i have researched this extensively to the point where i have started buying parts to get it done. What you need (for a gtr anyway but it should be the same) are 950cc injectors, upgraded full pumps and a tune to match. Getting E85 is the issue, from what i am aware there is stil only 2 places around Melbourne where you can get it and thats some petrol station on Nepean HWY and one in Werribee. However you can mix it yourself to guarantee consistency and a higher amount of ethenol and that is what i am going to do.

Brissy has 6 Caltex's with E85 on pump :)

Posted · Report post

On top of the injectors, fuel pump and tuning- I'm told that the entire fuel system from the tank through to the engine has to be E85 ready, due to it's corrosive nature???

Posted · Report post

On top of the injectors, fuel pump and tuning- I'm told that the entire fuel system from the tank through to the engine has to be E85 ready, due to it's corrosive nature???

Thats not the case for a GTR so I would assume it would not be the case for a 370 either.

Posted · Report post

Thats not the case for a GTR so I would assume it would not be the case for a 370 either.

yer i heard the VQ37 and the VR38 were ready

Posted · Report post

No worries, at that is promising then.

i'm very keen to switch for the instant power gains for no effort. However there is only 1 servo in Sydney that I know about! Be very interested in some results if someone goes down that path.

Posted · Report post

OK this is for the guys that are thinking of running E85 and tuning their car to suit...

Get an E85 gauge! If you are running a fine tune this may very well save you some big $$ as I have heard that not all E85 is the same. It may in fact turn out to be the equivalent of E80 etc. So your tune COULD be off.

This would mainly apply to those guys out there racing etc, but might be a bit of handy knowledge for the average punter as well.

It also does not sit for a long time too well. Apparently leaving E85 sit dormant for too long can cause it to form a bit of a sludge and gunk up fuel lines/injectors etc.