Welcome to Zclub - Australia's Largest Nissan 370Z and Nissan 350Z Forum
Register for FREE to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Engine rebuild for 350z at 130000km

10 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hi everyone,

Sorry if I have posted the topic in the wrong session. I have recently bought a 350z and it has been done 130,000km. I wish to have the engine rebuild so that it would be running like new however I don't know where to start from and have been stressed out because of it. Any bro can give me some suggestions? Also roughly how much would I be looking at? I should a rough idea so that I would not be conned by some of the workshops in Melbourne.

Thanks for those who may help me out!

Posted · Report post

Hi everyone,

Sorry if I have posted the topic in the wrong session. I have recently bought a 350z and it has been done 130,000km. I wish to have the engine rebuild so that it would be running like new however I don't know where to start from and have been stressed out because of it. Any bro can give me some suggestions? Also roughly how much would I be looking at? I should a rough idea so that I would not be conned by some of the workshops in Melbourne.

Thanks for those who may help me out!

i know itll cost you a bit so, if u got spare cash laying around i suggest a 4.2L stroker kit with low compression and slap on a TT... ul easily have the fastest 350z in aus....and itll be rebuilt :)

Posted · Report post

Hi, you shouldn't really need to rebuild your engine unless there was something specifically wrong with it (like oil burning or loud click-click noises) or if there was something specific you wanted to make it do (like go racing). A well maintained engine should easily be able to see close to 300,00kms and a decent engine rebuild is going to cost you anywhere between $8K and $12K depending on the parts you choose.

Posted · Report post

i know itll cost you a bit so, if u got spare cash laying around i suggest a 4.2L stroker kit with low compression and slap on a TT... ul easily have the fastest 350z in aus....and itll be rebuilt :)

Hi mate, what is the stroker kit for? I thought it is always better to have a higher engine compression? Also do u roughly know how much this stroker kit cost? Cheers!

Posted · Report post

Hi mate, what is the stroker kit for? I thought it is always better to have a higher engine compression? Also do u roughly know how much this stroker kit cost? Cheers!

Stroker kits are a way to increase the displacement of an engine. There's a couple different ways that you can do it but it is a case of shortening the length of the rod and/or increasing the height of the cylinder and doing something with the piston pin.

One of the common stroker kits for the Zed comes from Brian Crower and will set you back about 9k. They're a US company but I've heard mixed things about quality - the shop I was speaking to has installed a couple of their kits for the WRX EJ engines and noticed quality issues.

Note: I'm not an engineer and I've not seen their parts so that's just what I've been told as I looked into stroker kits a couple months back. PowerTune are the guys that distribute BC parts in Aus so you'll need to give them a call directly.

The other 'off-the-shelf' option is to look at a Power Enterprise or Jun 3.8L stroker but they will set you back 14k and 25k respectively. Those number are going to be a bit off as the FX rate is different but that will give you an idea in terms of what you're looking at in AUD.

Re: Compression ratios, the general rule is that a low compression ratio is better for FI and a higher comp ratio is better for N/A engines - it's due to efficiency and how much air you can actually squeeze in. This is a good link explaining why http://www.dune-buggy.com/turbo/enginebasics.htm.

I can shoot you details of a guy in Melbourne who can point you in the right direction and provide you with some useful advise if you want.

Posted · Report post

Stroker kits are a way to increase the displacement of an engine. There's a couple different ways that you can do it but it is a case of shortening the length of the rod and/or increasing the height of the cylinder and doing something with the piston pin.

One of the common stroker kits for the Zed comes from Brian Crower and will set you back about 9k. They're a US company but I've heard mixed things about quality - the shop I was speaking to has installed a couple of their kits for the WRX EJ engines and noticed quality issues.

Note: I'm not an engineer and I've not seen their parts so that's just what I've been told as I looked into stroker kits a couple months back. PowerTune are the guys that distribute BC parts in Aus so you'll need to give them a call directly.

The other 'off-the-shelf' option is to look at a Power Enterprise or Jun 3.8L stroker but they will set you back 14k and 25k respectively. Those number are going to be a bit off as the FX rate is different but that will give you an idea in terms of what you're looking at in AUD.

Re: Compression ratios, the general rule is that a low compression ratio is better for FI and a higher comp ratio is better for N/A engines - it's due to efficiency and how much air you can actually squeeze in. This is a good link explaining why http://www.dune-buggy.com/turbo/enginebasics.htm.

I can shoot you details of a guy in Melbourne who can point you in the right direction and provide you with some useful advise if you want.

Posted · Report post

Hell thats a lot of questions. And reasonably complex ones to given the variables involved. :)

Posted · Report post

Hi mate, I have checked the stroker kits from Brian Crower on ebay and they are selling at $4000+, it has got 4.1 Litre and 4.3L, now I have got two questions and see if you are able to answer:

1. Are the stroker kits meant for FI engine? My engine is running at NA and just wonder if it would make any difference in terms of power? What would I need to tune after installing this stroker kits, like ecu remapping? Also fuel efficiency wise, would it be better or worse?

2. In the advertisement, it states "custom pistons (choice of bore/compression)" and what should I select as I haven't got any idea of the bore and compression. What is the stock compression ratio in a 350z?

I would also appreciate if you could shoot me the details of the mechanic you know in Melbourne.

LOL @ G35me...I was just thinking that.

First things first, STICK CLEAR OF THE EBAY STUFF LIKE IT HAS THE PLAGUE!!!!

The majority of the parts advertised at that sort of price are manufactured in a cheap factory using inferior components. There is usually a reason why it's that cheap (to put it in perspective a genuine HKS Full dual Ti exhaust will set you back more than 4k...and that's just the exhaust!!!)

To answer some of your questions:

• No, a stroker kit doesn't have to be used with a turbo (it depends on the compression ratio)
  • Yes a stroker will make more power (increased engine displacement means more fuel + more air = more power)
  • You'll need a little more than just a tune to get everything working properly as everything changes
  • Normally if you fit a stroker you're looking for more power not better fuel economy so fuel economy isn't high on the list or priorities
  • Choice of compression is their way of asking "Are you going to be adding a TT kit or supercharger" - usually a comperession ratio of 8 point something to 1 is the most common ratio for FI VQ35s and 10 point something or 11 to one is used wth NA motors
  • You're car is currently running a compression ratio of 10 point something to 1 (that depends on which VQ engine you have as the HR's run a 10.6:1 relative to 10.3:1 I think)

That's just my understanding....in all honesty for an engine build like this you need to be speaking with a professional workshop...I do know a little about this stuff but I don't want to give you the wrong advise. At the end of the day if you're potentially about to drop 20k into engine internals (and if you're going down the stroker route you're looking at work to the head as well and you're likely to spend closer to 40 or 50k when you'll all done including labour) you need to have a face to face sit down with someone to explain all of your options.

I'll shoot you a PM other the next couple of days with the parts supplier down in Melb and a couple mechanics up here in Sydney who have done a fair bit of work with the 350s and you can have a chat with these guys to start with.

I believe that a couple of the other guys on the forum have had turbo/engine builds done at RevZone in Melbourne (I'm in Sydney so I don't know anything about these guys but give them a call as well).

Another thing to consider...this Z (picture attached) is a guy n the US who has a 4.2 L stroker and he was putting out 700+ rw hp and at those sort's of number you need to think very seriously about gearbox/diff upgrades and a whole bunch of other stuff as well (this link will send you to an article which lists his mods...it's a rediculously long list http://www.automoblog.net/2007/08/01/nissan-420z-tt-a-760-hp-350z/.

Hope that helps.

post-254-007854900 1301392915_thumb.jpg

Posted · Report post

LOL @ G35me...I was just thinking that.

First things first, STICK CLEAR OF THE EBAY STUFF LIKE IT HAS THE PLAGUE!!!!

The majority of the parts advertised at that sort of price are manufactured in a cheap factory using inferior components. There is usually a reason why it's that cheap (to put it in perspective a genuine HKS Full dual Ti exhaust will set you back more than 4k...and that's just the exhaust!!!)

To answer some of your questions:

• No, a stroker kit doesn't have to be used with a turbo (it depends on the compression ratio)
  • Yes a stroker will make more power (increased engine displacement means more fuel + more air = more power)
  • You'll need a little more than just a tune to get everything working properly as everything changes
  • Normally if you fit a stroker you're looking for more power not better fuel economy so fuel economy isn't high on the list or priorities
  • Choice of compression is their way of asking "Are you going to be adding a TT kit or supercharger" - usually a comperession ratio of 8 point something to 1 is the most common ratio for FI VQ35s and 10 point something or 11 to one is used wth NA motors
  • You're car is currently running a compression ratio of 10 point something to 1 (that depends on which VQ engine you have as the HR's run a 10.6:1 relative to 10.3:1 I think)

That's just my understanding....in all honesty for an engine build like this you need to be speaking with a professional workshop...I do know a little about this stuff but I don't want to give you the wrong advise. At the end of the day if you're potentially about to drop 20k into engine internals (and if you're going down the stroker route you're looking at work to the head as well and you're likely to spend closer to 40 or 50k when you'll all done including labour) you need to have a face to face sit down with someone to explain all of your options.

I'll shoot you a PM other the next couple of days with the parts supplier down in Melb and a couple mechanics up here in Sydney who have done a fair bit of work with the 350s and you can have a chat with these guys to start with.

I believe that a couple of the other guys on the forum have had turbo/engine builds done at RevZone in Melbourne (I'm in Sydney so I don't know anything about these guys but give them a call as well).

Another thing to consider...this Z (picture attached) is a guy n the US who has a 4.2 L stroker and he was putting out 700+ rw hp and at those sort's of number you need to think very seriously about gearbox/diff upgrades and a whole bunch of other stuff as well (this link will send you to an article which lists his mods...it's a rediculously long list http://www.automoblog.net/2007/08/01/nissan-420z-tt-a-760-hp-350z/.

Hope that helps.

Hi Chris, thank you for your insightful advice, I would seek further advice from the mechanic and see what he has to recommend.

Posted · Report post

Ok, when asking for advice, its usually easier to 'guide' you in the right direction if you point out your goal/plan with the zee.

The next important piece of information is your budget.

Once you have these in place you can work out your next steps.

With an engine bebuild, you're already out $10-15k depending on item choices etc.

Anything on top will be extra, including potential fuel upgrades, ecu and tune etc..