Welcome to Zclub - Australia's Largest Nissan 370Z and Nissan 350Z Forum
Register for FREE to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

2014 370Z with orange key light lit up when driving.

5 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hi to all

Hope you could point me in the right direction to resolve a problem.

I have a 2014 370Z and just recently a orange key light symbol has lit up on the left side of the dash and stays on while i am driving and some times stays on all night even when the car is turned off and locked up.

Read up heaps about the steering lock issue but was wondering if that issue effects the 2014 models. looked under the dash and sure enough there is a silver box that has been mentioned on forums. Is that box the potential problem?

I have put new batteries into my remote keys and a new battery in the car and the orange key light still appears and stays on while driving.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be cause from what i have read it is not supposed to affect the later models?

Regards

Ian 

Posted · Report post

Just following up for info that might be handy for any others who have the same problem and same model Z as mine.

Put the car into my local Nissan dealer and explained my issues and they had it for 2 days and found a fault code while doing diagnostics (which cost me $143). They contacted Nissan Australia and sure enough it was the fault code for the electronic steering lock. (I know previous posts on this topic have suggested that the steering lock problem did not exist on models after a certain year) So looks like models even as late as mine are effected.

Local dealer gave me a quote of $1999 to fix it but offered to present it to Nissan Australia as part of the recall even though my VIN number was not covered but could not guarentee me that it would be covered.

Received phone call today from local Nissan dealer and was told that all parts and labour will be covered by Nissan Australia - great news. Goes in on Friday to be repaired.

Cheers

Posted · Report post

Hi to all

Hope you could point me in the right direction to resolve a problem.

I have a 2014 370Z and just recently a orange key light symbol has lit up on the left side of the dash and stays on while i am driving and some times stays on all night even when the car is turned off and locked up.

Read up heaps about the steering lock issue but was wondering if that issue effects the 2014 models. looked under the dash and sure enough there is a silver box that has been mentioned on forums. Is that box the potential problem?

I have put new batteries into my remote keys and a new battery in the car and the orange key light still appears and stays on while driving.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be cause from what i have read it is not supposed to affect the later models?

Regards

Ian 

Just following up for info that might be handy for any others who have the same problem and same model Z as mine.

Put the car into my local Nissan dealer and explained my issues and they had it for 2 days and found a fault code while doing diagnostics (which cost me $143). They contacted Nissan Australia and sure enough it was the fault code for the electronic steering lock. (I know previous posts on this topic have suggested that the steering lock problem did not exist on models after a certain year) So looks like models even as late as mine are effected.

Local dealer gave me a quote of $1999 to fix it but offered to present it to Nissan Australia as part of the recall even though my VIN number was not covered but could not guarentee me that it would be covered.

Received phone call today from local Nissan dealer and was told that all parts and labour will be covered by Nissan Australia - great news. Goes in on Friday to be repaired.

Cheers

That's interesting Ian, didn't think 2013+ models were effected either, ie didn’t think they had those steering locks fitted. My 2012 had the same problem, you may have read my post. I had my car at Nissan waiting for a repair, not covered under the recall, and luckily I read up on the issue. I went done to Nissan to my car, wacked the lock with a hammer 3 times, got is started , pulled steering lock fuse there and then and drove off!

I would suggest your new unit is likely to eventually fail as well so I would just pull the fuse anyway.

Cheers,

Rodd

Posted (edited) · Report post

Well good news, the Z went in and got its new steering lock module and Nissan Australia decided to cover all associated costs under they Customer Goodwill Loyalty Program not under any warranty cause my car was out of warranty and not under any recall cause my VIN was not part of the recall, so in the end all turned out fine.

The only cost i was out of pocket for was the original diagnostic charge of $143 to identify the problem, i did try to get them to reimburse me by asking if that also could be covered under the Goodwill scenario - but no luck on that front. But atleast i didn't have to fork out $1999.

Been driving it since and no orange key light anymore.

Yes Rodd, i too believe that it may very well fault again one day but i only do 5000Kms per year and it looks like this thing faults at around 30,000-35,000Kms so i should have another 5 years or so before it may become an issue and thanks to everyone on this forum who has posted rectification advice on this matter i am atleast armed with what to do if it happens unexpectedly - thanks to all those who have contributed.

Best if this happens to any other 370Z owners no matter what year model it is, you should first go to Nissan with the issue and see if you can get it covered for the more of this issue being reported the better the chance that it may in the future be part of another recall for the later models. And if not you can always as the last resort do the fuse thing to get you out of a pickle and not have to fork out the quite expensive cost of rectification.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by ZBanger

Posted · Report post

Well good news, the Z went in and got its new steering lock module and Nissan Australia decided to cover all associated costs under they Customer Goodwill Loyalty Program not under any warranty cause my car was out of warranty and not under any recall cause my VIN was not part of the recall, so in the end all turned out fine.

The only cost i was out of pocket for was the original diagnostic charge of $143 to identify the problem, i did try to get them to reimburse me by asking if that also could be covered under the Goodwill scenario - but no luck on that front. But atleast i didn't have to fork out $1999.

Been driving it since and no orange key light anymore.

Yes Rodd, i too believe that it may very well fault again one day but i only do 5000Kms per year and it looks like this thing faults at around 30,000-35,000Kms so i should have another 5 years or so before it may become an issue and thanks to everyone on this forum who has posted rectification advice on this matter i am atleast armed with what to do if it happens unexpectedly - thanks to all those who have contributed.

Best if this happens to any other 370Z owners no matter what year model it is, you should first go to Nissan with the issue and see if you can get it covered for the more of this issue being reported the better the chance that it may in the future be part of another recall for the later models. And if not you can always as the last resort do the fuse thing to get you out of a pickle and not have to fork out the quite expensive cost of rectification.

Cheers

Ian

Glad it got fixed under goodwill. Hear of people having to fork out heaps to get it rectified.